NYC 6721 struck by covered hopper

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

NYC 6721 struck by covered hopper

Unread post by MrRail »

Recently NYC 6721 was struck by a covered hopper. Does anyone know the status of the loco? I am not a NYC guy, but here is the article. http://www.publicsafetyreporter.com/201 ... -platform/
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: NYC 6721 struck by covered hopper

Unread post by Ypsi »

Local politicians and officials are upset that the Federal Railroad Administration, who helped investigate the crash reported “no indications that the train crew that delivered the train car to the private company violated any federal securement regulations in this incident.”
Really? I mean come on no mention of the boy who was "playing" on the rail car being at fault? A boy who should not have been there? Where is the accountability? Why are they mad the people who most likely did their job as they should have did not get punished? That's pretty ridiculous and not right. There is $1 million of damage done and the city and officials won't go after who is actually responsible for it, going for the deeper pockets instead....
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I believe I mentioned this in the steam thread also, but I don't remember. However I do not think that NYC 6721 received any real significant damage beyond a damaged pilot and running boards on the rear, all of which could be fabricated and replaced. The engine is still in good shape cosmetically despite the recent collision.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

A few thoughts:
I doubt any more no trespassing signs would have deterred the kid from playing on the car.
Wheel chocks or a derail would have prevented this from happening.
How did the covered hopper get on the track the antique loco was stored on? The car appeared to be rolling on the mainline. Was the switch set for the siding?
I doubt the kid "accidentally" kicked the brake loose. He almost surely was messing with it.
Chuckie Shumer never misses an opportunity for some media face time.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

hoborich wrote:A few thoughts:
Wheel chocks or a derail would have prevented this from happening.
Probably ran right over the derail. The 'flip on' ones are really only good at 'low speeds' and even marginally effective at that. Split rail derails are more effective, but more expensive.

Just how 'secure' do you want stuff? Sure, railroads could chock wheels, but how many chocks do you want? Chock every car? Someone wants to get a car rolling on its own, no amount of 'securement' is going to prevent that.
hoborich wrote: How did the covered hopper get on the track the antique loco was stored on? The car appeared to be rolling on the mainline. Was the switch set for the siding?
It came out of a yard. Most operating rule books require switches providing access to a mainline be lined 'away' from the mainline as protection for such an occurrence. We have a 'roll out' switch at the downhill end of our receiving yard for such occurances. It is a power switch, and about 15 ft of track and a small dirt pile. Cars rolling out will pile up in a field, rather than on the main. Not that we haven't had a 'roll out' in the last 10 years that piled up on the main, but that is another story for another time. On the 'pull out' side, it is good practice to keep the switches towards the departure tracks lined towards the 'dirt pile'. We're at the top of a hill, and if a car makes it onto a departure track, it is headed for downtown Indy 10 miles away.

So, last crew did what they were supposed to do, and lined the switches 'away' from the mainline and towards the stub track the locomotive was on. All in all, it is probably better this car crashed into a stuffed and mounted tea kettle. If it had hit a freight head on out on the main it could have been a lot worse.
hoborich wrote: I doubt the kid "accidentally" kicked the brake loose. He almost surely was messing with it.
Probably did it intentionally, but prove it. Then again, how often do you tell the cop "Do you know how fast you were going?" -or- "Do you know why I pulled you over?" the honest truth?

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

As a former youth with a past he regrets I once got a cut of cars rolling on a siding, and if I could figure it out just by messing around with the cars it ain't hard for anyone else either.

Fortunately I had had the smarts to catch the car and set the brakes manually before they got to the other end or the "Hultchers" would have been picking the cars out of the ditch. IIRC all I did was pull the uncoupling lever on the end 2 cars and away they went.

It does make me wonder why the tracks to the stuffed and mounted loco were still connected to an active track. Seems to me most times displays like this are isolated to prevent such accidents.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

The kid was never discipled growing up or this never would have happened.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MQT1223 wrote:I believe I mentioned this in the steam thread also, but I don't remember. However I do not think that NYC 6721 received any real significant damage beyond a damaged pilot and running boards on the rear, all of which could be fabricated and replaced. The engine is still in good shape cosmetically despite the recent collision.
If you look closely, frame damage is pretty apparent. The front and rear frame of the locomotive are pretty badly mangled based on what can be seen, and the cylinder block may have a coupler embedded in it. The tender frame is likely also severely compromised.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

The kid was never disciple growing up or this never would have happened.
What does this mean? How do you "disciple" someone. Sounds erotic. :lol:

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

hoborich wrote:
The kid was never disciple growing up or this never would have happened.
What does this mean? How do you "disciple" someone. Sounds erotic. :lol:

You make him follow his friend around in the desert for 20 years, feed him a good dinner then nail the friend to a cross. :twisted:
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

lvrr325
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lvrr325 »

Reportedly 3.5 million in damage including building, locomotive, and the errant hopper, which blew through two derails. The entire pilot is smashed off the locomotive, it also buckled at the drawbar and the damage is such that they may as well rebuilt it for operation. It needs a ton of work.

Fairly decent grade down into here and the line includes a bit of street trackage, where the hopper collided with a couple of automobiles on it's way through.