Lac-Mégantic lawsuit: Judge rejects CP challenege

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Lac-Mégantic lawsuit: Judge rejects CP challenege

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

A Quebec judge has rejected Canadian Pacific Railway's challenge of a court settlement aimed at compensating residents of Lac-Mégantic.

About 25 companies accused of responsibility in the 2013 train tragedy that killed 47 people have contributed to a compensation fund of $431.5 million.

The settlement was being opposed by Canadian Pacific.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.3149986

I have to agree with Canadian Pacific. Its sad what happened to those 47 people, and the firefighter who committed suicide immediately afterward, but the ONLY responsible party should be the Montreal, Maine, & Atlantic Railway. If you cannot get the money from that entity, its not up to someone else to pay.

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lac-Mégantic lawsuit: Judge rejects CP challenege

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

I agree. CP should be, under no circumstances, held liable for another companies actions. CP didn't supply the crew, or the locomotives. Just the train, If Im correct.
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lac-Mégantic lawsuit: Judge rejects CP challenege

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I feel bad about this whole situation. I was re reading old news articles and it seems to me that the engineer got railroaded. The CEO blamed him for the whole thing when the majority of the fault lay with his company with regards to poor maintenance. I hope the owner gets nailed and the engineer walks away. CP should not be liable at all but with the way laws work who knows.