Amtrak train derails in Philly killing at least 6

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak train derails in Philly killing at least 6

Unread post by PerRock »

You probably already know, but there isn't a thread yet.
Associated Press wrote:AMTRAK TRAIN DERAILS KILLING 6 PEOPLE; INVESTIGATION BEGINS
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Daylight on Wednesday revealed the destruction and devastation caused by an Amtrak train derailment in Philadelphia that left at least six people dead and injured dozens more, several critically, as survivors recalled a terrifying wreck that plunged them into darkness and chaos.

Some passengers had to scramble through the windows of toppled cars to escape. One of the seven cars was completely mangled.

The accident closed the nation's busiest rail corridor between New York and Washington as federal investigators begin sifting through the twisted remains to determine what went wrong.

Train 188, a Northeast Regional, left Washington, D.C. and was headed to New York when it derailed shortly after 9 p.m. Tuesday. Amtrak said the train was carrying 238 passengers and five crew members.

"It is an absolute disastrous mess," Mayor Michael Nutter said. "I've never seen anything like this in my life."

Nutter confirmed five deaths and said not all the people on the train had been accounted for. Temple University Hospital's Dr. Herbert Cushing said Wednesday a person died there overnight from a chest injury.

More than 140 people went to hospitals to be evaluated or treated for injuries that included burns and fractures.

Amtrak said the cause of the derailment was not known and that it was investigating. The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Railroad Administration were also dispatching investigators to the site.
AP Article

Aggregated from other sources:
At the time of writing this, it appears that the train took the corner way to fast. Early speculative reports are claiming 100+mph in a 50mph zone.

Death toll as of 9:22am.

CSX has confirmed that there is no evidence to show a crash with a freight train. Freight trains in the pictures are in the CR yard there. Tankers are non-hazardous 'chemicals.'

FBI does not believe it to be terrorism at this time.

Next major update expected around 11-11:30am.

NEC is closed for that area, NJT is accepting Amtrak tickets to Trenton. Other Amtrak services, PHL south and NYP north are still running.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Amtrak train derails in Philly killing at least 6

Unread post by Ypsi »

Yes there was right under your new post..

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31862
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown