Amtrak train from D.C. crashes in Philly.

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak train from D.C. crashes in Philly.

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

Bulby wrote:The automatic signal enforcement that is in place elsewhere on the corridor (NOT PTC!!!) would have prevented this easily. Amtrak needs to come up with a VERY good explanation for why this was not in place. It's not new technology; having been developed as a result of Ricky Gates/Gunpow in 1987.
I think a great reason Amtrak hasn't put Automatic Signal Enforcement (Amtrak's version of PTC) is people in government keep cutting there budget. They have no money coming in from the Midwest Trains, such as the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lincoln Service, take your pick, and Congress just cut AMTK's budget by another $250 Million. Just my view, Matt
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Matt Short Line H wrote:
Bulby wrote:The automatic signal enforcement that is in place elsewhere on the corridor (NOT PTC!!!) would have prevented this easily. Amtrak needs to come up with a VERY good explanation for why this was not in place. It's not new technology; having been developed as a result of Ricky Gates/Gunpow in 1987.
I think a great reason Amtrak hasn't put Automatic Signal Enforcement (Amtrak's version of PTC) is people in government keep cutting there budget. They have no money coming in from the Midwest Trains, such as the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lincoln Service, take your pick, and Congress just cut AMTK's budget by another $250 Million. Just my view, Matt
With the money they'll be paying out in the lawsuits they'll probably would have been able to PTC the thing 10 times over.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CSX_CO wrote: The FRA glass would contain the remains of a bullet if it had been shot. Plus, that glass doesn't stop very big caliber stuff. With as peppered as the front of that engine is from debris, going with it was suffered during the derailment.
I'm with you on that.

But then this was just posted on FB by a fellow railfan...
So the NTSB is finally looking Into the possibility the engineer of the derailed train was shot at before the accident.
The media is going to go absolutely insane if that turns out to be the case.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

It certainly seems if there was a malfunction and the train was running away, the engineer would have dumped the air a lot sooner, well before the train reached 100 mph. Just speculation, but I doubt he would have wasted much time trying to figure out what was wrong before hitting the brakes.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Take another look at the engine itself. I watched CNN this morning and it looks like the glass in the back of the engine was damaged much like the front windshield. Need to look at the back of the engine as well. Not sure if there are any pictures of the back of the engine.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

As suspected by some gunfire on the locomotive has been ruled out by the FBI

http://news.yahoo.com/heres-latest-amtr ... 03213.html
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ypsi wrote:As suspected by some gunfire on the locomotive has been ruled out by the FBI
Well...imagine that.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

I got this email from Amtrak on Friday, 5/15/15:
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT AND CEO JOE BOARDMAN ON TRAIN 188
The derailment of Northeast Regional Train 188 was a terrible tragedy that we are responding to with every resource we have available. The National Transportation Safety Board is leading the investigation to determine the cause of the incident, and Amtrak is providing full cooperation.

With truly heavy hearts, we mourn those who died. Their loss leaves holes in the lives of their families and communities. On behalf of the entire Amtrak family, I offer our sincere sympathies and prayers for them and their loved ones. Amtrak takes full responsibility and deeply apologizes for our role in this tragic event.

We recognize that for everyone onboard the train, including those who suffered injuries, the healing process may be long. Within 24 hours of the incident, Amtrak set up a Family Assistance Center in Philadelphia to work closely with the family of passengers and crew on the train. We are also working with the individuals and families affected by this event to help them with transportation, lodging, and of course, medical bills and funeral expenses.

Amtrak is ever grateful to the City of Philadelphia—its first responders who bravely worked in difficult conditions, including the dark of night, to rescue and provide aid to hundreds; its hospital personnel who went into full alert as patients arrived at emergency rooms; its officials who quickly implemented a response plan; and its citizens who opened their doors to offer assistance.

Although our current focus is on the passengers and employees affected by this incident and the resulting service disruption along the Northeast Corridor, we must also take time to learn from this event. Passenger railroading is at its core about people; the safety of our passengers and employees was, is and always will be our number one priority. Our goal is to fully understand what happened and how we can prevent a similar tragedy from occurring in the future. We will also continue to focus on completing Positive Train Control implementation in the Northeast Corridor by December of 2015.

Thank you for your support of America's Railroad during this difficult time.

Sincerely,
Joe Boardman, President and Chief Executive Officer
Joe Boardman
President and Chief Executive Officer
-------------------
I bolded the part about Amtrak wanting to implement Positive Train Control by December.

Garry K

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

Is that a hard deadline to fulfill for a PTC installation this big?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

59caddy wrote:Is that a hard deadline to fulfill for a PTC installation this big?
It was difficult since the legislation passed in 2008.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Garry K wrote: I bolded the part about Amtrak wanting to implement Positive Train Control by December.

Garry K
He's been stating that in about every TV interview he's had since the crash.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

59caddy wrote:Is that a hard deadline to fulfill for a PTC installation this big?
From what I understand, if Union Pacific made 50 installations per day, starting today, they wouldn't be done until 2017.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

"Engineer's union wants two men behind the wheel of locomotives"
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/20/en ... comotives/
Lolz

Trying to exploit tragedy. Nevermind the fact that the last major corridor incident (CR vs Pax train) still happened with two men up front.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

"Trying to exploit tragedy."

Kid, you stay some stupid stuff. Learn to think before you speak and try to shut up a little more often.
Bottom text.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Y@ wrote:"Trying to exploit tragedy."

Kid, you stay some stupid stuff. Learn to think before you speak and try to shut up a little more often.
What would you call it then? Sure looks like that to me. Union sees it as a way to make sure they get more due paying members on the rosters.

Two men in the cab doesn't guarantee anything either. Plenty of accidents out there were the 2nd crew member didn't prevent the accident. In the same stroke we'll never have an accurate tally of just how many they do prevent either.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

As soon as I saw the news article about the union's call for another engineer I recalled a safety video that we watched as part of our annual CN safety training. The engineer lets his "buddy" fall asleep and then dozes off himself and runs a red block.

Adding another person is not as effective as installing technology to prevent block violations or overspeed situations.

There is an unfortunate part of the whole PTC story. PRR had a similar system in place in the 1950s that was abandoned sometime later.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

In cab engineer cams are on the way for Amtrak.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/ny ... ?referrer=
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ypsi wrote:In cab engineer cams are on the way for Amtrak.

For anyone who argues that this "doesn't prevent accidents",

I counter with: Black boxes don't prevent accidents, either.

It is all about figuring out WHAT happened when something goes wrong, not prevention. As in, we have no clue here because we don't know what happened in the cab. Having a camera would have solved that. True, PTC would prevent the wreck entirely, but the cameras still have uses, such as analyzing what is going on when PTC is required to take control, or that sort of thing NOT protected like PTC.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

MQT3001 wrote:
Ypsi wrote:In cab engineer cams are on the way for Amtrak.

For anyone who argues that this "doesn't prevent accidents",

I counter with: Black boxes don't prevent accidents, either.

It is all about figuring out WHAT happened when something goes wrong, not prevention. As in, we have no clue here because we don't know what happened in the cab. Having a camera would have solved that. True, PTC would prevent the wreck entirely, but the cameras still have uses, such as analyzing what is going on when PTC is required to take control, or that sort of thing NOT protected like PTC.

Probably should put them at the dispatch desks and in the yard towers too. Might want to hang them on the Conductors as well. When you get a job I'll want to make sure you are properly video monitored too. Can't be too careful you know.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline