Steam on the G&W

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Steam on the G&W

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Genesee & Wyoming is only a recent player on the Michigan shortline scene, but they have properties all around the country (and beyond). I don't know, so I'm going to ask - what is their position on steam operating over their rails? Have they allowed excursions in the past? Hot tea kettle but no passengers? Ice cold dead in tow only? Does each individual railroad make the call or does G&W has an overarching policy? I'm curious about any other examples....

TIA.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Steam on the G&W

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

There was a group who wanted to run the 765 over the Winamac Southern south of Logansport, Indiana last summer, but because the 765 would've had to run over about 2 miles of the TP&W (owned by G&W), the trip didn't happen. At the time G&W's management said that passenger excursions didn't fit what their business model, even though the WSRY had rights over the TP&W between the two WSRY lines. From the tone of the reports at the time, it sounded like that was their company-wide policy, although I could have read the statement incorrectly. Sorry, Nathan, I don't really recall where the information was published, but it might've been the Indiana Railroads board.
~ Charles W.

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:There was a group who wanted to run the 765 over the Winamac Southern south of Logansport, Indiana last summer, but because the 765 would've had to run over about 2 miles of the TP&W (owned by G&W), the trip didn't happen. At the time G&W's management said that passenger excursions didn't fit what their business model, even though the WSRY had rights over the TP&W between the two WSRY lines. From the tone of the reports at the time, it sounded like that was their company-wide policy, although I could have read the statement incorrectly. Sorry, Nathan, I don't really recall where the information was published, but it might've been the Indiana Railroads board.
NKP 765's journey to and from Rock Island, Illinois for Train Festival 2011 required movement over Genesee & Wyoming's Tazewell & Peoria Railroad to get from TP&W to the Iowa Interstate and then vice versa. Granted, not an actual excursion, but it was steam running on a G&W shortline.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

G&W's steam policy is weird. The story above is proof of that. I believe that the reason why they managed to get on the TP&W is because they have had a long relationship with them. The G&W might own the railroad but I BELIEVE they are individually managed, I'm not 100% certain on the management structure.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:G&W's steam policy is weird. The story above is proof of that. I believe that the reason why they managed to get on the TP&W is because they have had a long relationship with them. The G&W might own the railroad but I BELIEVE they are individually managed, I'm not 100% certain on the management structure.
There is more to that story behind the scenes on that WSRY move. A lot of inter group politics.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:G&W's steam policy is weird. The story above is proof of that. I believe that the reason why they managed to get on the TP&W is because they have had a long relationship with them. The G&W might own the railroad but I BELIEVE they are individually managed, I'm not 100% certain on the management structure.
There is more to that story behind the scenes on that WSRY move. A lot of inter group politics.
That can be a factor, but again, its all about relationships with the railroad and groups involved.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:
That can be a factor, but again, its all about relationships with the railroad and groups involved.
So what would the inter group politics be then?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Maybe the Illuminati is behind the politics at the WSRY.
Exit stage left

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

redside20 wrote:Maybe the Illuminati is behind the politics at the WSRY.
Maybe that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic...
CSX_CO wrote:
So what would the inter group politics be then?
I don't follow. Your asking me about something you stated.

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

This was about 17 months before G&W acquired the TP&W so G&W must have made an exception to allow NKP 765 to move over the Tazewell & Peoria RR. It was the only way to reach the Iowa Interstate if they wanted to avoid Chicago and CSXT's New Rock Sub.