611 Under Steam

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: 611 Under Steam

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:The NS steam schedule is out!!! 611's first run is out!!!
No link? Come on, if it's out...post it!

Be in the lookout for Foam Level 6 today and in the coming months. Stay safe out there.
image.jpg
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

For the lazies:
http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en ... eamex.html
SOU 4501, NKP 765, and N&W J 611 all involved.
Nearby ones to the upper midwest are:
Weekend of July 18 - Fort Wayne – Lafayette, Ind. - NKP 765
Weekend of July 25 - Youngstown – Ashtabula, Ohio - NKP 765
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ypsi wrote: Also while I am giving my opinion, it bothers me when people call locomotives "she" or "her". Despite the nicknames and everything, it is an object; a locomotive. It is not living nor will it ever be alive or a she.
Are you really making a stand against a practice that has been used for hundreds (maybe even thousands) of years? :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Pie39 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Haha...I was about to use "unit" for my 1225 narration. Might still if I don't change it during my edit before I record it all. Now I'll be conscious about it.
It was made pretty clear to me when I first got into steam engines, that they are never to be called units. :D

Dictionary
1unit
noun \ˈyü-nət\

: a single thing, person, or group that is a part of something larger
Yup, a steam locomotive definitely fits into that definition. Hence, 611 is a nice unit, just like a woman. :twisted:
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

"And the ancient foamers said.."

Yes JT, to me it's a thing. Very neat and what not but not a she, nor will it ever be a she or alive. By definition I'm correct no matter what anyway :twisted: It's just one of those things that bugs me, much like the term foamer, or when people say "we won" when a sports team wins.. You didn't win, that team won. But like I said everyone entitled to an opinion right or wrong, and if people like to call it a she fine, as long as I can continue to call it an it.
J T wrote: nice unit, just like a woman. :twisted:
:lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Posting a link from my phone while trying not to be late for work warrants no link, plus you should know what to search for anyway. You better be careful calling women "units" boy...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

Unread post by MrRail »

NS' steam program schedule was announced earlier today. The J's first run will be on May 15, and sounds like it will be a proving run. It'll be good to see it back under it's own power!
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Crap so far SHE won't be making it out of Virginia.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:Crap so far SHE won't be making it out of Virginia.
First year I won't expect it too far away from home, just incase some rebuild bugs come out. Knowing the legemdary crew it has, most likely not.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ypsi wrote:"And the ancient foamers said.."

Yes JT, to me it's a thing. Very neat and what not but not a she, nor will it ever be a she or alive. By definition I'm correct no matter what anyway :twisted: It's just one of those things that bugs me, much like the term foamer, or when people say "we won" when a sports team wins.. You didn't win, that team won. But like I said everyone entitled to an opinion right or wrong, and if people like to call it a she fine, as long as I can continue to call it an it.
Let me know when you find a time machine so you can go back hundreds and thousands of years and tell those who traveled by boats and ships that their vessels should not be referred to as "she" or "her." :P

As I said, are you really going to challenge a practice that's been in use since people first built ships?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

As long as I can have my opinion I'm fine. Bugs me and that's that, it will always be an object and never alive or a she. That's my opinion and everyone else is welcome to theirs :)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ypsi wrote:As long as I can have my opinion I'm fine. Bugs me and that's that, it will always be an object and never alive or a she. That's my opinion and everyone else is welcome to theirs :)
You sir, stand on some VERY virgin ground.

MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

Unread post by MrRail »

I posted the schedule earlier. Did my post get deleted????

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MrRail wrote:I posted the schedule earlier. Did my post get deleted????
Look up towards the top, Zack has it posted.

MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

Unread post by MrRail »

I know he posted it, but I posted it here 5 min after release. Post I put up is gone though.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

SousaKerry wrote:Crap so far SHE won't be making it out of Virginia.
NS keeps up the soft earnings and poor customer service don't be surprised they don't let them out of the barn...

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

CSX_CO wrote:NS keeps up the soft earnings and poor customer service don't be surprised they don't let them out of the barn...
And, possibly more importantly, a new CEO is set to take over later this year...
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

railohio wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:NS keeps up the soft earnings and poor customer service don't be surprised they don't let them out of the barn...
And, possibly more importantly, a new CEO is set to take over later this year...
While the CEO change is big I personally don't think hardly anything will change.

On the other hand Russ, I've heard some "great" stories about CSX customer service as well...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:
railohio wrote:
While the CEO change is big I personally don't think hardly anything will change.

On the other hand Russ, I've heard some "great" stories about CSX customer service as well...
The difference is CSX admits their short comings with the customers. NS had been telling them to pound sand and it was their fault for ordering so many cars. Throw in their Bellevue congestion. Say all that to the customers, then go play tea kettle all summer, probably going to garner the wrong kind of attention from shareholders and customers. Plus NS just said their first Quarter earnings will be down. CSX reported theirs, and while not great, was a small improvement. Going to be interesting to see how NS does against its eastern rival.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »