611 Under Steam

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

611 Under Steam

Unread post by MrRail »

This just came up on my Facebook page on the N&W Group. Figured I would bring it up with the people here. Anyone know when 611 will head out onto the mains?
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: 611 Under Steam

Unread post by SousaKerry »

join fireup611.org for updates
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MrRail wrote:Image

This just came up on my Facebook page on the N&W Group. Figured I would bring it up with the people here. Anyone know when 611 will head out onto the mains?
Just because she can legally hold water and a fire now doesn't mean she is close to being done, yet at the pace this is moving could be as early as June with my guess. Still gotta put the dress on the Lady J. :wink:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Yeah she is one ugly lady without her dress clothes on.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:Yeah she is one ugly lady without her dress clothes on.
I think it would be neat to see her masquerade around as one of her wartime, unstreamlined sisters as a temporary measure though.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

They are getting very close to being done... She is holding at 275PSI and counting right now. Won't be long till test runs.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Even uglier with them on.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Somehow got on some train spam list, and received a mailing a year or so ago trying to get me to donate to 611's cause. Big bulky mailing that couldn't have been cheap. In it, the text of "If you want to go to heaven, put your money on the 611" was printed all over; it's also on their main mission page and many other pages on their site. In the garbage it went.
I shake my head when churches try to get you to pay for an entrance to heaven, but seeing the Virginia Museum of Transportation trying the same route is just sad. Preying on what people pray for to calm their fears ain't cool.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:Somehow got on some train spam list, and received a mailing a year or so ago trying to get me to donate to 611's cause. Big bulky mailing that couldn't have been cheap. In it, the text of "If you want to go to heaven, put your money on the 611" was printed all over; it's also on their main mission page and many other pages on their site. In the garbage it went.
I shake my head when churches try to get you to pay for an entrance to heaven, but seeing the Virginia Museum of Transportation trying the same route is just sad. Preying on what people pray for to calm their fears ain't cool.
Wow that sounds fishy. The Fire Up! Guys do not spam like that. I have subbed to their newsletter and thats all I get. The heaven thing doesn't sound at all like 611.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

12Bridge wrote:

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT1223 wrote:The heaven thing doesn't sound at all like 611.
Links: http://fireup611.org/the-campaign/donate/
http://www.razoo.com/story/Virginia-Mus ... ion/mobile

If you want to go to heaven, put your money on the 611.” ~ Doug Wohlford, fireman on the Class J 611.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Somehow got on some train spam list, and received a mailing a year or so ago trying to get me to donate to 611's cause. Big bulky mailing that couldn't have been cheap.
I also received something similar in the mail. Most of my railroad related junk mail started after I got Trains Magazine again.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

~Z~ wrote:Somehow got on some train spam list, and received a mailing a year or so ago trying to get me to donate to 611's cause. Big bulky mailing that couldn't have been cheap. In it, the text of "If you want to go to heaven, put your money on the 611" was printed all over; it's also on their main mission page and many other pages on their site. In the garbage it went.
You get a lower postage rate for mailpieces above 3.3 oz when you're sending bulk standard mail. VTM is probably a post office non-profit (different than an IRS non-profit) and probably pays about half of the standard mail rate too, further dropping the cost of the postage on something like that. It doesn't make it any less irritating on your end, but the cost of doing a mailing like that probably isn't as high as you'd think...and Kalmbach probably licenses their subscription list, as do many other publishing companies.
~ Charles W.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

12Bridge wrote:

Well remind yourself of that when she blows your hat off and gives you a face full of cinders when she rockets by at 70MPH on the NS Chicago Line next summer.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Wont be a problem, as I have zero interest in this engine!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

12Bridge wrote:Wont be a problem, as I have zero interest in this engine!
Then why comment?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT1223 wrote:
Then why comment?
This is a discussion board. Opinions are allowed, and often lead to some of the best (and worst :lol:) discussions.

Personally I think its a neat loco and great that it will run again soon, but you wont see me going too far out of my way to see it. Also while I am giving my opinion, it bothers me when people call locomotives "she" or "her". Despite the nicknames and everything, it is an object; a locomotive. It is not living nor will it ever be alive or a she.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:Also while I am giving my opinion, it bothers me when people call locomotives "she" or "her". Despite the nicknames and everything, it is an object; a locomotive. It is not living nor will it ever be alive or a she.
Apparently you haven't spent much time around steam, especially at rest. All the stuff that goes on...it seems like the thing is alive. I'm sure crews feel that way too, after operating it.

It ain't your car, that's for sure!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

Gotta agree. It's pretty common to refer to steam engines (or most others too, but I stay away from that) a she. I do it sometimes. I guess all the work that goes into making it run, everything, nominates it to be a she. :D
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Hence forth why the 611 is The Queen of Steam. Notice how she is said to be ugly wothout her dress on, or some have said The Lady J is naked. I know people are entitled to their opinions because I have been scrutinized for the same, but its stuff like this that bothers me. Unessecary negativity...