Another NS heritage unit

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Another NS heritage unit

Unread post by MQT1223 »

That Southern SD40 (the first one Southern ever owned) that was suppose to go to a museum, its not. Even better its been restored back into its Southern Livery and put back on the active roster! Check out this beauty. Looks pretty good wearing its new "Tuxedo". :wink: This has to be the equivalent of restoring a Late 60's early 70's muscle car for the guys at the Juniata Shops.

Hopefully NS 1580, the first N&W SD40 gets the same treatment soon. It has been set aside to not be rebuilt/upgraded but to be worked on very soon. What paint scheme would she wear? The Black and White N&W paint or one of the other N&W paint schemes?

https://www.facebook.com/norfolksouther ... =1&theater
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Another NS heritage unit

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Pretty cool, but yet another heritage engine to clog up every forum, photo site and rail magazine.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

12Bridge wrote:Pretty cool, but yet another heritage engine to clog up every forum, photo site and rail magazine.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks its all getting old..
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

But the real question is: is it black and white or blue and gold???
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:But the real question is: is it black and white or blue and gold???
:?: I think we know what three, not two colors it is unless I'm missing something here.

I will kind of agree with the comments above though, I do like seeing the variety of heritage units on NS, but I'm starting to think that now 21, soon to be 22 heritage units is a bit much. I mean UP only has 5 true heritage units with the C&NW and Espee unpatched units being unofficial heritage units.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:But the real question is: is it black and white or blue and gold???
:?: I think we know what three, not two colors it is unless I'm missing something here.
That went waaayyyyyy over your head :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
That went waaayyyyyy over your head :lol:
I hate things with hidden messages. I'm not good at all with these.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Actually I find this "heritage" unit to be of very different character than the GEVOs and SD70M-2s. While those were largely adaptations of older schemes and images onto a modern locomotive profile (Conrail excepted), this is a true historic image put back on a historic unit carbody - one that actually wore that scheme well over 30 years ago! I know we won't see Wabash Trainmasters and the like for obvious reasons, but if NS wanted to have an authentic heritage paint scheme on a former Southern and former N&W unit, I'm all for that! :D

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I would rather see that then the GEVOs and aces honestly. Give me authentic SD40-2's and GP38-2's. And for a road that never owned one use the GEVOs and aces. IMO a Conrail SD40-2 and the likes would be pretty neat to see again. But I don't run the railroad and don't choose.. And honestly if I did and had the choice, there wouldn't be 20+ heritage units and special units out there today.......
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

It is a true heritage unit in my opinion since the unit actually wore this paint scheme and like you said its not a GEVO or ACe. NS restored this SD40 to its former glory, didn't do hardly a thing to it to modify it at all. Just put another stock engine in it since the original was blown and saved it from having the nose chopped. Then gave it fresh paint.

Benchedthatpiece
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Benchedthatpiece »

I'll take a wholecar over a heritage unit any day. Plus they are a lot harder to get so I appreciate them more!

Jay

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

Give me a Conrail SD80MAC!! :D :D :D :D :D
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Matt Short Line H wrote:Give me a Conrail SD80MAC!! :D :D :D :D :D
"Like"