Kentucky railfaning help!

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Kentucky railfaning help!

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

Going to be in the area end of next week need some help please.

I was wondering if anybody has any info. on railfaning the Paducah and Louisville (train schedules, locations, etc.). Also, the Evansville Western RR (schedules, location, etc.).
Any info. on the RJ Corman around Louisville would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Kentucky railfaning help!

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

I'm by no means an expert, but I was down in that area briefly earlier this year- here's my 2cents worth.

Evansville and Western: Start out at Mt Vernon Indiana at the intersection of Nettleton and 2nd streets. That's where their HQ appears to be, and you should at the very least be able to get some good to decent roster shots without trespassing. If you follow 62 east and go to green valley drive that takes you to one of the larger customers for EWRR, however, the road becomes private at some point, and without a good (300 mm) you won't be able to get that good of shots by staying on public property-however, you might be able to catch something leaving and then set yourself up at a better spot down the line. This is where most of those NS trains from Central IL coal mines seem to go. There's also an industrial park just east of mt vernon that has a bunch of stuff going on. You may be able to catch something working that area as well. Google maps is your friend, but be careful, as the roads can go from public to private pretty quick.

I don't have really any info on PAL and RJ corman, but two unrelated spots I think are worth checking out that are nearby Louisville are:

CSX Street running in LaGrange KY - this has become one of my favorite railfan spots on CSX-it's not the heaviest traffic, but if you're patient you should get something on the line. Signal and siding at the east/north end of the town let you know if something's about. The town seems to have quite a few cool photo angles. Be careful, as there's a good reason why mainline street running is a rarity, but it's a pretty awesome sight to see. Continuing on 71 towards Cinci, this line seems to have more to offer, but I haven't really explored it as I've only been down there twice. The first time, about an hour at LaGrange and just barely (caught the tail end) missed a train. The second, earlier this year, there for an hour and caught three trains!

NS: Pope Lick trestle. about 20 miles from downtown Louisville, Take I-64 east to exit 19 South (I-265) to State road 155 south (Taylorsville Road) The trestle is about a mile on the left. This is one of the trestle's that often appear on NS Calendars. I've never been there for the record, but google is your friend here and should yield some more useful info. I had jotted down the directions earlier as I had hoped to at least see it earlier this year.

Hope this info helps!
Keep on truckin........By Train!!!