New Switcher

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

New Switcher

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Neat Idea !

CANADA: North Vancouver-based Tractive Power Corp has sold its initial TP56 three-axle industrial shunting locomotive to Parish & Heimbecker Ltd. The locomotive is to be used at P&H’s site in Cloverdale, British Columbia, where it has been in demonstration service since May.

The TP56 is intended as a 'railcar mover' for shunting wagons in industrial sidings. It is based on a cut-down EMD SD40 frame with a Caterpillar C9 industrial diesel engine, and is designed to use off-the-shelf industrial and railway components and to be serviced on-site.

‘We are pleased and impressed with the performance of the TP56 within our facility’, said P&H Production Manager Dustin Stewart. ‘It has proven to be robust and reliable. The Tractive Power team has been helpful and responsive in tailoring the locomotive to our specific needs.’

Announcing the sale of the first locomotive on December 9, TPC founder and President Frank Donnelly said the manufacturer was now ‘moving ahead with a build programme for additional units’.
Attachments
tn_tractivepower-tp56-shunter_01.jpg

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: New Switcher

Unread post by railohio »

The news here is that the manufacturer is confirming a sale. The product has been known for 6-8 months now.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I love the Spartan cab :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Sounds a lot like the old ALCO slave units that were made as rail car movers. One of these is in Jackson at Worthingon steel. The locomotive is a stripped down S2? with no cab and the prime mover removed and a small 300 HP truck engine. The cab looks like a phone booth bolted to the pilot steps, one cab on each end.

I wonder if they will come out with a smaller version with a GP-40 truck?
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »