Buffalo, NY blizzard

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Buffalo, NY blizzard

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

i've heard csx has run a few trains today and some ran last night too. i guess they have dispatched a few snow jets and jordan spreaders out this way if they can get crews to run these trains. i heard a few detours have been planned, but i'd guess most trains will be held.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Buffalo, NY blizzard

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I wonder if CSX has maintained any of the old CR snowplows in the region for use in this type of storm? CR used to maintain quite a fleet of plows on its snow-heavy lines to do battle. I believe Buffalo is also where they used to base the oddball rotary plow, too.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

6866.1178456400.jpg
This is my fav. Even after the color change.
Attachments
6053.1169863200.jpg

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

i think things won't be normal around here for several days. i cannot believe how much snow we have gotten.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Service Alert – Extreme Lake Effect Snow in Buffalo Area

Norfolk Southern operations have been impacted by extreme lake effect snow in the Buffalo, NY area. Record setting snowfall, road conditions, and road closures have curtailed Norfolk Southern operations in and around the Buffalo area. Customers with rail traffic destined to or originating in the Buffalo area will see a disruption of service over the next few days. Shipments normally moving through western New York will be detoured over other routes, likely resulting in additional transit time with 24-48 hour delays.
That is the update NS sent out to customers. Sounds like everything will be at a standstill for the time being.

I know CSX still retains their European rotary and some spreaders, but I have no idea what NS has as far as snow fighting equipment.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

my sources tell me that some csx's and ns trains have run into and out of buffalo this afternoon. incredible!

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

i heard from a friend of mine who works for the cp that both the cn and the cp both had to tie down trains at various locations due to the blizzard and that frontier or bison yards were not accepting trains.

honestly i was shocked to see that as many trains ran as they have over the last couple days on csx and ns from what people have told me.