Train Truck Collision Mer Rouge, LA

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Train Truck Collision Mer Rouge, LA

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

A Union Pacific train collided with a tractor/trailer in Mer Rouge, LA on Sunday October 5. According to reports, a truck hauling a lowboy trailer carrying a crane became high-centered on a crossing. The truck driver was unable to removed the truck before being struck by a UP freight.

Both the Engineer and Conductor were injured, with one man being airlifted to a nearby trauma center. The truck driver was able to escape unharmed.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/l ... /16770167/

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Train Truck Collision Mer Rouge, LA

Unread post by Jochs »

A couple was on their way home from West Monroe, LA to Memphis and the wife caught it on her cell phone camera. You can see the engines derailing as they go behind the building if you watch it full screen. As the train stops, look through the drive-thru of the building again, and you can see train cars jumping the tracks and tipping over.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Incredible video. NS 9939's front end got air if you pause it right at impact. Wow.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Jochs wrote:A couple was on their way home from West Monroe, LA to Memphis and the wife caught it on her cell phone camera. You can see the engines derailing as they go behind the building if you watch it full screen. As the train stops, look through the drive-thru of the building again, and you can see train cars jumping the tracks
I like the husbands first concern at 50 ish seconds "well we are going to have to find an alternate route"

He should have been more concerned with the patched espee second out :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

ConrailMan5 wrote:
Jochs wrote:A couple was on their way home from West Monroe, LA to Memphis and the wife caught it on her cell phone camera. You can see the engines derailing as they go behind the building if you watch it full screen. As the train stops, look through the drive-thru of the building again, and you can see train cars jumping the tracks
I like the husbands first concern at 50 ish seconds "well we are going to have to find an alternate route"

He should have been more concerned with the patched espee second out :lol:
LOL :lol:

Perhaps he should have been concerned about the tanks derailing and what was in them!
They're so lucky that it wasn't a crude "ole" train as the guy in the first link put it. That could have been deadly for everyone around the scene.

Kudos to the wife for capturing it on video (and watching her language! Holy Mother of Mu-Mu! :lol: ). Her video is far better than some people's videos of stuff like that happening. She held the camera relatively steady and kept it rolling.
It's a good thing they weren't under the blinkers that fell when the debris knocked one of the poles down that was holding them up.
She would have gotten a better video had she called "shotgun" before they left!Image
I'm guessing the guy in the passenger seat is the father of either the man or the woman. I'm sure we'll get to know them in the coming days as I'm sure they'll be interviewed on national tv about what they saw.
Jeff O.

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Mer Rouge residents have been allowed to return to their homes.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=baa_1412 ... cGR4Ldw.01
Jeff O.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Train derails -> vapor cloud -> pull up closer -> roll window down

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

I was thinking the same thing when she stated "Look at all the white smoke" :shock:

If it was a green vapor haze I wonder if they'd still have done the same thing... "Hey, it smells like a swimming pool out here - let's pull closer" :roll:
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I guess it was a good thing that those appeared to be liquid Nitrogen tankers, and not something much much worse.

At least I have a new potential catch phrase "holy mother of MOO MOO"

Would that be Hindu??
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

The media reports citing UP officials indicate the the leaking tank(s) were liquid argon. The news reports also stated that crews were cleaning up the argon spill. How the heck to you clean up an Argon spill? :roll:

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Standard Railfan wrote:The media reports citing UP officials indicate the the leaking tank(s) were liquid argon. The news reports also stated that crews were cleaning up the argon spill. How the heck to you clean up an Argon spill? :roll:
In the world of journalism (and I use the word with tongue in cheek) anything is possible. I wonder if those 'content providers" have a clue how ignorant they really are?
Norm

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

The real trouble is that there's way too much going on with not enough people so the attention detail is lessened considerably, I'm finding this out the hard way right now. It's probably not that they were ignorant so much as they had 50 things to do and they didn't have time to check the facts. Combine that with a large group of likely young and inexperienced people at the point where the info comes into the newsroom and it's not a recipe for quality. All the outlets that copied the story don't have the time either. It's a business that's in decline due to the internet.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

A portion of the train wreck video is seen on one of this week's episodes of the MTV show "Ridiculousness." The guest star on this particular episode (and the episode title) is Lyndie Greenwood. The segment it is used in is called "Puck Ups," where videos are featured where people use a substitute word instead of a curse word.
I also noticed their youtube video (channel David Garden Seeds and Products) their description has been updated. The woman says she is Juanita, as in Holy Mother of Moo Moo, and is not a member of that religion. :lol: She is riding with her husband David and his father John Schulze.

BTW, I see that on the Directv guide that MTV is showing the "Lyndie Greenwood" episode several times during the nxtext few days:
1/11/15: 5:30am, 10:00am, MTV
1/12/15: 3:00am, MTV
1/13/15: 8:30pm, MTV
no showings on MTV2 in the next few days.
Jeff O.