Hawaii Tourist Trains

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Hawaii Tourist Trains

Unread post by James Sofonia »

My wife is traveling to Ohaua Hawaii in November with my Niece. We have been on the Sugar train on Maui a few years ago and enjoyed it. Seems I've read someone has revived a rail operation on the main island recently. Anyone know about this. She won't be traveling to the other islands this trip, but would like to get some train time in.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Hawaii Tourist Trains

Unread post by Ypsi »

The Oahu railway society has a Sunday tourist train that runs a noon and 3pm 90 minute excursion out of their yard to the beech and back. The run narrow gauge behind vintage switchers (44 toners, 25 toner, 70 toner) and with open sided cars. I rode it this winter and it was great! Friendly crew and museum staff who gave my brother and I basically a "behind the scenes" tour (anyone could get a "tour" if they asked and said they were interested I assume). We rode on a perfect day and had a nice ride. It isn't drowned out with crazy tourist type people too bad either (crying kids, obnoxious adults ect).

Here is my coverage of the Hawaiian railway society from this winter: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29049&p=296594&hilit=Hawaii#p296594
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Thanks for the reply and link to good info. I think they will enjoy the ride.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

No problem, its worth the short trip down to the grounds. I would like to do the maui train some day as they still roster narrow gauge steam engines. There are still some trains in Hawaii and they are worth the visit if you ever find you way out there.

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

imagine if hawaii had a busy class 1 mainline? how cool would that be?

the only 44 tonner i've heard of used to work the chemical plants in niagara falls ny that csx operates now.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

At one point the line on the west side of the island of Oahu was double tracked, and trains were of course more frequent and there were even passenger trains. Of course as roads improved, and then a tsunami took out much of the infrastructure, all of this was finished.

There are 2 44 tonners in operable condition at the Hawaiian railway society, both started off on the mainland and we're originally standard gauge iirc. The 25 robber as well. The 70 tonner was built as a narrow gauge unit and worked in the navy yards in Hawaii, it was getting rust repair and wiring repairs early this year. There are a handful of preserved Hawaiian narrow gauge steamers that are original to the islands, with hopes to get them running again but they are a long way off.