CP sells DM&E west end to G&W

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

CP sells DM&E west end to G&W

Unread post by canpac08 »

For those who don;t have access to the trains wire CP has picked a buy for the west end of the DM&E

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 03711.html
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CP sells DM&E west end to G&W

Unread post by AARR »

Here's a little more info
Posted by Elba Steve on 1/3/2014, 5:12 am
G&W has come to agreement with Canadian Pacific to purchase the western most trackage of the D M&E, which totals about 660 miles. Trackage includes lines from Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming, and will be named the Rapid City Pierre&Eastern Railway. About 52,000 carloads are handled annually on these lines. This information per Trains Magazine Newswire 1-02-14.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

That'll make it an automatic class 2 Regional on miles alone.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There is a matrix that for a short line railroad to be profitable they need 100 carloads per mile per year. So for 660 miles of track that would be 66,000 carloads per year. 52,000 falls short of the ideal matrix. Now there are always exceptions to this rule but if you ever read corporate short line companies car loadings you'll see they are usually right around the 100 car loads per mile of track matrix.

Something else to note is there is not a lot of growth opportunities on this segment. Mostly grain (some potential growth), ethanol and ag-oil (both flat lined), cement (cyclical), and bentonite (flat lined).

Another consideration is with the exception of bentonite and cement most of the business is on the east end of the line and have the shortest haulage route to its connection with CP.

G&W knows their business and have a very successful track record growing traffic on their lines so it'll be interesting to see what they do with this line. Maybe some how they'll pick up some frac sand or oil transload business or maybe continue to push to move into Wyoming coal fields.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:There is a matrix that for a short line railroad to be profitable they need 100 carloads per mile per year. So for 660 miles of track that would be 66,000 carloads per year. 52,000 falls short of the ideal matrix. Now there are always exceptions to this rule but if you ever read corporate short line companies car loadings you'll see they are usually right around the 100 car loads per mile of track matrix.

Something else to note is there is not a lot of growth opportunities on this segment. Mostly grain (some potential growth), ethanol and ag-oil (both flat lined), cement (cyclical), and bentonite (flat lined).

Another consideration is with the exception of bentonite and cement most of the business is on the east end of the line and have the shortest haulage route to its connection with CP.

G&W knows their business and have a very successful track record growing traffic on their lines so it'll be interesting to see what they do with this line. Maybe some how they'll pick up some frac sand or oil transload business or maybe continue to push to move into Wyoming coal fields.
Article said it would generate $65 million dollars a year. The current FRA threshold for Class 2 status is at least 450 miles and/or $40 million/yr. Of course that isn't saying you are off cuz I agree about your matrix theory on profitability.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JStryker722 wrote:Article said it would generate $65 million dollars a year. The current FRA threshold for Class 2 status is at least 450 miles and/or $40 million/yr. Of course that isn't saying you are off cuz I agree about your matrix theory on profitability.
I'm sure G&W sees opportunity with the line otherwise they would not have acquired it. I'm just curious how they are going to do it because their (I used the right version, Grammar Nazi's :lol: mode of operation is to invest and grow and not achieve profitability through deferred maintenance and other demoralizing cost-cutting practices.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Although you used the proper "their" you only used one "(" :D
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Being a Class 2 requires different paperwork with the FRA and STB on filing stuff. Shouldn't be much of an issue with G&W. As for the price they paid ($210 million), there's plenty of potential to make money with the traffic base, the real question is how much are they going to need to sink into the property to get it into a solid 25 mph operation?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I don't think the entire line has been a "solid 25" for more than 40 years.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

railohio wrote:I don't think the entire line has been a "solid 25" for more than 40 years.
CP did rebuild the DM&E line quite a bit so my guess they did get much of it to 25mph.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Not the west end section G&W bought. CP kept around 1,200 miles of the DM&E. Several years ago there was an article in Trains about the section they purchased.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Several years ago there was an article in Trains about the section they purchased.
It was a very good article indeed along with a customer list and their locations, engine terminals, etc. This article is where I got the vast majority of information about this segment.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
midland sub wrote:Several years ago there was an article in Trains about the section they purchased.
It was a very good article indeed along with a customer list and their locations, engine terminals, etc. This article is where I got the vast majority of information about this segment.
I didn't realize the DME was so long of a line.

railohio

That total includes the former IC&E, which was merged into the DM&E as part of the CP acquisition.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

This is everything west of Winona, Minnesota, correct?
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MKT_fan11 wrote:This is everything west of Winona, Minnesota, correct?
No, from Tracy, MN west.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

MKT_fan11 wrote:This is everything west of Winona, Minnesota, correct?
No. Everything west of Tracy, MN. I believe they will have trackage rights east to Mankato.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They're getting what's left of the old C&NW line. There was a better article back in the early '90s on the DME.

railohio

JStryker722 wrote:
railohio wrote:I don't think the entire line has been a "solid 25" for more than 40 years.
CP did rebuild the DM&E line quite a bit so my guess they did get much of it to 25mph.
CP promised to rebuild it, but the governor of South Dakota has gone on the record with the STB saying the railroad hadn't lived up to its promises. What sections has CP completed?

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

railohio wrote:
JStryker722 wrote:
CP promised to rebuild it, but the governor of South Dakota has gone on the record with the STB saying the railroad hadn't lived up to its promises. What sections has CP completed?

Subgrade testing done on the PRC subdivsion shows poor conditions exist. Ballast and ties alone will not be enough to keep the rails above the clay for years to come on the westward part of the line.
This link mentions the subgrade on pages 14-22.

http://assets.conferencespot.org/filese ... 39fdfa.pdf

Joint rail 2013.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_lastovic ... 6/sizes/h/

Joint rail 2012.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 337&nseq=2
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.