Trackwork around Elkhart

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Trackwork around Elkhart

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

For anyone who cares:
Norfolk Southern has been doing a lot of work on their Main 2 from east of the depot in Elkhart heading west into the yard. I think they may well even have finished most of the stuff to the east as they've dropped ties off on the south side of the line through Mishakwa sometime in the last day or two. I do know that I caught a tie train EB on the east side of Mishawka last Monday (Labor Day) that was heading back to Elkhart, presumably for the night. Interesting thing about that train was that it was led by NW caboose 555051 had a bunch of gons and the ramp car (for a CAT 314C) and was powered by a truck, a Peterbuilt I think.

A signal maintainer, I think, was following the procession. I took pictures, I'll try to post 'em later. Not sure how far the work is gonna go to the west, but if they get into that joint trackage downtown (South Bend) it'll really make for some fun traffic stuff here (Mishawaka).

Also, I caught the MOW forces heading into the yard for the night last week as well: