South Shore Train Wreck?

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

South Shore Train Wreck?

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Did anyone hear anything about a wreck on the CSS&SB this morning (Owlcaboose)? I've been away from area (South Bend, anyway) media since yesterday afternoon only to just get asked about it a moment ago. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything about it.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Amtrak officials aren't sure if they'll be able to open the South Shore lines by Saturday night.
How do they get to decided if the South Shore lines are open?
Trev
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Hello Charles W., I am late, :wink: OWL .
South Shore Line restores service

Passenger cars' damage will stress already taxed system, official says

BEVERLY SHORES | South Shore service was suspended most of Saturday as crews worked to clear the tracks following a morning collision between a passenger train and a freight train.

Service was restored with a late afternoon train from South Bend, scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 7 p.m. The day's first eastbound train departed Chicago at 8 p.m.

Service will be on the normal weekend/holiday schedule through Monday, according to South Shore spokesman John Parsons.

The collision left the front car of the South Shore passenger train pushed onto the track's gravel embankment, leaning into a support pole for the main power line to the railroad's overhead electric system.

Crews of the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District, which operates the South Shore, removed the lightly damaged freight train and the undamaged passenger train cars.

By mid-afternoon, equipment was in place to lift the damaged lead passenger car clear of the tracks. The lesser damaged second car was re-railed, then moved to NICTD's Michigan City service center.

The main line suffered no damage, Parsons said, and damage to the siding rail was repaired by Saturday evening.

The lead passenger car suffered extensive damage to its front end and underside and would be assessed for structural damage, NICTD General Manager Gerald Hanas said. It would be out of service a minimum of 90 days, Hanas said.

The second car, which was tilted slightly off the track by the crash, would be out of service about 30 days, Hanas said. The other cars were undamaged.

"This will add stress to an already taxed equipment situation," Parsons said.

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/ ... 0115cb.txt