UP SP unit

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

UP SP unit

Unread post by Scooterb »

UP Southern Pacific unit to be unvailed Saturday.

I already got my pic of it :D

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Wow! Consider yourself lucky that you got such a rare picture!

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Ummm, not horrid, but definately not great.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I got my pic of it as well..surprisingly scott, it's also at Blue Island :)

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-15263

It's the closest unit to me.

Where did you find out that this "8523" unit turned out to be the SP unit?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Sombody notified me then I looked it up to confirm.
http://utahrails.net/all-time/all-time- ... 70ace-1982

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

man that's just wrong shoulda stuck with grey and red

Daylight just doen't look good on a diesel
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Unread post by SD40-2 »

i kind of like it but i also agree with Kerry about the grey and red http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=155654

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Personaly I dont like it.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I think it's okay, but it would be better if they'd made it ENTIRELY Black Widow, or Red/Grey, as those are the freight colors.

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Unread post by Railzfan »

Not the scheme that I would have picked! I think Speed Lettering and the Black Widow scheme's combined would have looked much better.

The CNW unit is the best looking of them all!

Follow this link for a photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=151394
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Grey and red...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I don't think very many people saw this on the other boards, and since that thread is just about to fall off the other boards, I'll bring it here.
DTIDave wrote:I don't think it's all that bad. It's different, yes. It's not a Black Widow, it's not a Sunset, and it most certainly isn't a "Gray Bomber". I agree with the poster below who said it kinda resembles the old Rock Island Rocket scheme. If you take away some of the white lines from the nose, change the colors on the loco from black/orange/red to red/white/blue, it looks as if it's almost inspired by the old Amtrak "Pepsi Can" scheme they used on the B32-8WHs (Not B40-8, Dave). I admire the UP for attempting to resurrect the fallen flags it assimilated over the years, but their attempt at acknowledging the companies that made them what they are now have something to be desired. They're not horrible looking units ('cept for the MoPac and Katy abhorrations), but they seem to me like UP hired some fancy-schmancy arTISTE (emphasis on the "teest") who drew up something that looked neat, and used colors the former railroads did, but knew NOTHING of the former companies histories. MoPac was a bare bones RR who didn't order anything fancy. CNW didn't paint anything fancy until the C44-8W's came in. SP couldn't afford paint in the first place, but yet, UP managed to paint one up in some kind of warm fuzzy image that everyone should try to remember it as. OK, whatever. The units look ok (I guess) as stand alone paint schemes, but they are in no way representative of the former roads they are trying to "honor".
When I heard the UP was going to do some retro schemes, I actually thought they were going to paint some new units up in the former schemes. Instead, they came out with some artists wet dream and really nothing much retro about it other than the names the stuck to the sides.

But then again, that's what makes this country great. Someone can post a nice photo of a pretty nice loco and lunkheads like me have to come along and deconstruct it! Hopefully if any of the other railroads REALLY want to honor their pasts, I only hope they do so without trying to overdo it like the UP. Thanks for sharing the photo with us, Gregg.

Dave J ---> My three cents... adjusted to cover the rising fuel costs