Abandoned Railroad Trackage in Illinois

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Abandoned Railroad Trackage in Illinois

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Can anyone tell me if there is a right of way that runs south, south of Rochelle? I decided not to take the freeway coming back from there yesterday, and noticed a tree line that tended to run fairly directly between grain elevators that appeared to have been around for several years. I was wondering if that might be old Rock Island or some other railroad's trackage at some point in time.
Thanks in advance.

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Unread post by Railzfan »

I know exactly what you are talking about, I saw it too on our way home last time. It is an abandon mainline that used to serve those grain elevators to the west. As for what railroad owned it, I have no idea. Sad to see that they are no longer served :cry: :cry: :cry:
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Charles, I checked my old Hammond 1925 atlas and it shows a CM&SP (Milwaukee Road) line that ran south from Stewart (off CB&Q / BNSF) thru Scarboro, Welland and on thru Mendota. It shows up on my old Conrail map from the 70's, but not on my Illinois hwy. map from 1991.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Thanks, SW. I'd have been surprised if it was there by 1991, as the ROW was mainly marked by a lot of trees growing in a pretty straight line. Looked as though it paralleled the route I-39 was built through, as most of the parts I remember were within 3 miles of the interstate.

And Andrew, elevators to the west? I didn't make it too far west of Rochelle, the elevators I was referring to were either right off the North-South roads I was taking, or they were on the east side of the road...and I left Rochelle from the east side of town, following the BNSF line as it runs south and east.