Points East (in the US)

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Points East (in the US)

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I'm planning a trip to Massacheusetts (sp?) in about two weeks (ok, two weeks and three hours or slightly less) and was wondering if anyone knew of any good spots to spend 10 or 15 minutes within about 5 minutes of I90 (preferably 5 minutes from an exit) that would be a decent place to catch a few trains (or one or two) somewhere between South Bend, Indiana and Springfield, Mass.? Also, I was wondering if anyone else is planning to attend the 'Big E', out in Amherst, Mass. the weekend of the 28-29 of January? That's actually my destination, although I am also planning to attend the Teen Association of Model Railroader's Winter Convention in the vicinity the same weekend. I've heard that the Springfield Amtrak station is a good spot, as well as the CSX yard there, but was curious if there was anything good to see specifically in the eastern parts of NY state. Thanks.

Aleks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Aleks »

It's been awhile since I've been to these places but heres a couple in Pennsylvania / New York.
State Line obviously between the two named states above. There is an exit there that your just a few minutes from an iron bridge that crosses the ex CR Buffalo to Cleveland now CSX and the NS ex N&W /NKP between the same place. The NS is at a level crossing and both are just a few hundres feet apart. The 2 lines between them average about 3 trains an hour but there are some dead spots.
The other is Silver Creek NY. The exit comes to a "T" intersection with Hwy 5/20. If you turn back west on this road there are a couple of crossings to your right where both lines are side by each. You can also go into the town of Silver Creek on Hwy 5 and there is a gravel road that goes up between the two lines where the bridges cross Hwy 5. It's a little over grown there now but it's a quiet place to sit. I used 2 go here for years in the 70's, 80's and 90's at least 2 to 3 times a year and always averaged trains every 20 mins over the course of the day. At this place the tracks are just a gravel parking lot apart and your at the East end of the Silver Creek siding on the NS.