UP Kearney Sub

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

UP Kearney Sub

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

I have heard so many things about the Kearney Sub train traffic and I have no idea what to belive. Looking it up on the internet I got 3 different results. 150 trains daily, 100 trains daily, and 51 trains daily. I wrote down the train symbols myself and got 51 trains as well. According to the Virtual Railfan description on the camera that says 80 a day. It would be helpful if someone could give me an actual answer becuase 100-150 seems completely unrealistic with today's PSR. Not even the Chicago Line see's that many. They barely manage 60 a day

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: UP Kearney Sub

Unread post by SD80MAC »

PSR has hit UP hard. I'd be surprised if it was even 50 a day, at this point.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I was out there last summer for two full days last August at the beginning of the harvest season. I caught over 35 UP trains from 930 to just after 9 pm. The next day was much slower with just over 25. It's a very unit train based line. If there's a lot of coal, grain, auto rack traffic then it's a busy day. Of course Grain was also very heavy out there as well when I went out there. If there isn't it can get slow real quick. I'd imagine there is 50-65 trains a day but yes a far cry from 2007. Manaifests are 3 miles long, intermodal isnt very busy compared to BNSF and etc. Also coal was slightly busier than this time last year. It imagine it's somewhere in the mid to upper 50s right now. They were also using one of the mains for parking trains and cutting them apart when crews run out of time. I've seen this happen twice in Lexington.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SD80MAC wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:16 am
And the decline of coal, which was the whole reason for the triple-tracking. I bet they start rationalizing it within the next few years.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

It's better between Gibbon and North Platte with trains coming off the Marysville Sub.

Also better in Grand Island with BNSF and Nebraska Central trains.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Saturnalia wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:16 pm
[quote=SD80MAC post_id=548877 time=<a href="tel:1720703810">1720703810</a> user_id=38]
And the decline of coal, which was the whole reason for the triple-tracking. I bet they start rationalizing it within the next few years.
[/quote]

I really think we could see an elimination of main 3 similar to what the GTW did with the flint sub removing one of the tracks in 1999-2000.