Railpictures Question(s) Last ones

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Railpictures Question(s) Last ones

Unread post by Stitch »

Has anyone had any sucess with getting anything submitted? I have tried I thought were some of my best stuff but all rejected.

Reasons backlit, cloudy, the sun was to high, common power(still not sure what they are getting at with this) and the old not enough nose light. Some I can understand but this back lit and nose light are driving me crazy. I assume never take a picture with the sun in anyway in the back even if the engine nose is well lit? and no matter how well lit the nose is make sure you have a 1000watt flash on your camera.

I'll probably will keep trying, not sure why, as I love the letdown. Is there a good day to upload pictures are the moderator in a better mood somedays rather than others? Any suggestions?

Oh yeah what do they mean by common power? I had a picture of the HLCX in CNW paint still SD60 and that was common.
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

It is common as there are lots of SD60's out there, also as long as it is still running it is common. Mabey you dont see it everyday, but somewhere it is out there. It took me over four months to get the first one excepted, then another six to get another one, then at least another three for the third, and finally I started to get a handel on what they wanted.

Not sure what you mean by the 1000 watt flash, but its all about beeing in the right spot. Back lit can also mean that even though the front of the train is lit, and the side is somewhat bright, any shadows on the ground from the side you are standing on will disqualify it.

Nose light you need at least 3/4's plus to have acceptable nose light, or just the right angle, so as the nose light is not as evident, (ie. low angle looking up at the loco, or a extream angle so as one side of the nose cant be seen.

One thing that has helped me, get menny more photos on lateley, is a good editing progeram, (I have adobe Photoshop) and knowing how to use it correctley. Make all the diffrence in the world. You can adjust the lightnes of the shadows on the nose and other areas.

And one last thing, is once you get a few photos on, they seam to start to overlook some little things, and you can get away with a little more.

Just keep trying.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I've gotten four onto RP.net with a couple of others I have not attempted to submit yet, but intend to do so. I am still a little perplexed. I have a couple rejected where I was shaking my head for a week afterward, but several others where it was obvious once someone else took a look at it.

Here's a tip: Unless the shot is newsworthy, wait a bit to submit it. I have had a few clunkers I thought were good the day I downloaded them. Once they were in the album, side by side with other work, and also entered in picture of the day here, I had an idea of the photo's potential. Some I thought were candidates the day I took them were not even considered a week later.

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

Guess my problem is they give you suggestion to change something crop, sharpen, etc.. you make the change then they reject it for something else you change that then its something else you appeal they reject it without even explaining that kinda just leaves you feeling what the <BLANK>.....
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

That angers me as well, Stitch. RP.net will not explain anything. I often feel RP.net does not give any consideration to your appeal, but rather just blanket rejects it without a second glance. I really don't know what their submissions average in numbers on any given day and how many bodies are availavle to screen the shots. The luck of the draw is certainly in order on many shots.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Join there forums read the forums link to the picture in question is the best way to find out what they are rejecting it for, ask for honest opinions, several of the screeners might reply as to why the rejection, and what you can do to get it accepted, dont be a jerk about it, they have been very helpful on several occasions for me.

Save your picture as original on you computor (so you can go back and make changes)

then do the edits and save that seperatly.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

trainjunkie47 wrote:That angers me as well, Stitch. RP.net will not explain anything. I often feel RP.net does not give any consideration to your appeal, but rather just blanket rejects it without a second glance. I really don't know what their submissions average in numbers on any given day and how many bodies are availavle to screen the shots. The luck of the draw is certainly in order on many shots.
There's no luck about it. A quality picture, most of the time, will get in. The screeners have their hands full each day with hundreds of submissions. They have no time to give detailed explanations of what's wrong with the image and how to fix it. That is what the forums are for. There are plenty of people that post there (including myself) willing to help if you have a rejection that doesn't make sense to you.

Railpics has a standard that was set by them and they have the right to hold their site to their standard. NO ONE is forced to upload pics there, and if your image gets rejected, you shouldn't take it personally. Railpics is just another site to upload pictures to. If it doesn't get accepted there, you can always try rrarchives. If railpics is so important to get a picture uploaded to, then you should be willing to take the time to understand the reasons for rejections and how to fix those problems with future shots you take (or even fix the current rejection, which is often possible). Scott suggested it and I am as well...try the forums. Many people are willing to help, and often times the screener interact as well.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

JT, I agree that RP.net has a right to set a certain standard and select what they want. I also understand that they must screen several hundred pictures daily. I will have to check out the forums like you suggest. I will have to quiz you on about 4 or 5 I submitted and was rejected. I felt each was superior to any of the four I had accepted.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

The forums there are great. People really do like to help, so don't hesitate! :D