Aperature and f-stop.

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
LSRC
Flat River Rat

Aperature and f-stop.

Unread post by LSRC »

Hey everone,
I am still learning the aspects of photography. Before it was point and shoot, but now that I have a better camera I am starting to get into manual settings and processing photos on the computer for better results. I am really kind of confused about the aperature and f-stop. What exactly are they, and when do I use them, and in what conditions? Also, how do I increase my field of view?

How would I change this on my camera (Canon Powershot S2IS)

Thanks,

LSRC

Grandville
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Grandville »

F-stop is aperture value in canon speak. With your camera you can change either the f-stop (aperture value) or shutter speed or in M you can change both.
P = camera sets shutter speed and aperture value(AV)
Tv= user sets the shutter speed ( camera sets AV)
Av= user selects AV (camera sets the shutter speed)
M = user sets AV and shutter speed

You can also set the ISO in some of the camera modes.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Grandville wrote:F-stop is aperture value in canon speak.
Actually, f-stop is aperture value in ALL cameras, regardless of make, model or age. :wink:

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

OK I have the same type of camera as you do LSRC,just starting to play with the setting, Grandville has given some good info I will try to refine it for our cameras.
Auto setting= everthing is set for you point and shoot.

P = camera sets shutter speed and aperture value(AV)
Tv= user sets the shutter speed ( camera sets AV) Gregg says this is best for night shots (use tripod for the longer exposers)

Av= user selects AV/F-stop (camera sets the shutter speed) I like to default this around 5.6. use the thumb button under the on off button right increases left decreases f-stop.

M = user sets AV and shutter speed
right on thumb pad increases shutter speed left decreases speed
up on thumb pad increases f-stop... down decreses f-stop.

Hope this helps.

Also experiment experiment as much as you can

Grandville
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Grandville »

lsrc asked about aperture and fstop. I wanted to point out that canon doesn't use the term fstop in the manual...they use aperture value. Fstop=aperture value. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Ok, thanks everyone. Geez, the more I learn about photography, the more that I want it to be a sunny, warm, cloudless day!

Also, would you change the f-stop when you use the zoom?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Grandville wrote:lsrc asked about aperture and fstop. I wanted to point out that canon doesn't use the term fstop in the manual...they use aperture value. Fstop=aperture value. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
I hadn't noticed they didn't use f-stop. I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers used "aperture" exclusively because it sounds less confusing to the average person.
LSRC wrote:
Also, would you change the f-stop when you use the zoom?
Generally speaking, no. However, some lenses WILL change the aperture in relation to the focal length of the zoom.

For instance, at 100 mm, the max f-stop setting on my lens is f/4.5. Zoomed in at 400 mm, that changes to f/5.6. The camera changes it automatically as the lens zooms, so changing it manually is not something you have to worry about. However, if I have the aperture set at f/5.6 at 100mm, when I zoom to 400 mm it will stay the same.

There are other zoom lenses that retain the same maximum aperture setting from wide to zoom. The Canon 70-200, for instance. That comes in both 2.8 and 4.0 versions, meaning 2.8 or 4.0 will remain the max aperture throughout the entire zoom range.

Many manufacturers offer similar zoom lenses with similar aperture values. I just used the Canon one as an example because it's something I'm most familiar with.