Trying new ways to edit my photos

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Trying new ways to edit my photos

Unread post by CAT345C »

Okay I tried to do this the best I could they are only off size wise by about 20-30 pixels.

Which one looks the best, I accidently clicked save instead of Save As so I lost the one straight off the camera.

Its Q335-17 on 9-17-2006 at the W.E. S. Lyon for those wondering.

Verson 1, the Current Method

Verson 2 the new method
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I like #1 more just because the sky isn't as blown out.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Hmm, I thought # 2 looked better, I'm gonna try to select just the sky and try to make it look more like #1. I'll be glad when I get that Nikon D50 I've been eying, I'll have less editing to do.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Mike Tabone wrote:Hmm, I thought # 2 looked better, I'm gonna try to select just the sky and try to make it look more like #1. I'll be glad when I get that Nikon D50 I've been eying, I'll have less editing to do.
Do you have any tool on your editting program like photoshop's "shadow/highlight" tool? It darkens the bright areas, or vice versa.
I certainly hope your D50 will have less editing..but I doubt it. I know I do more editting now with my 30D than I did with my point and shoot...My old Canon A40 did more in camera processing so I didn't have to edit much... new camera, almost everything is processed on the computer.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I got the magic wand select, free hand select and the preset shape select, everything in the selection will allow me to change it, and I can feather it and alias it so it will look pretty decent. Glad I took that Digital Imaging Class, never thought my computer would come with the program though.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

While the sky in #2 looks more blown out, the train looks closer to being properly exposed.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Mike,

The D-50 is not a "cure all". I have to adjust my pictures, usually brightness and contrast, and frequently color balance.

No big deal though.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Yeah, but with a newer better camera, I will have less editing to do, right now all I can do in the modes is add a grid line, and adjust the brightness of the image.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Mike Tabone wrote:Yeah, but with a newer better camera, I will have less editing to do, right now all I can do in the modes is add a grid line, and adjust the brightness of the image.
Well, regardless of your camera, in Photoshop, you can do all the editing you want.

Also, a better camera doesn't mean less editing. You've still got to know how to use the correct settings to expose a picture properly.