Photo information archive

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Photo information archive

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I know this dawned on me one day, and sorta forgot about it, but I'm hoping to come up a good system soon...

For those of us that take railroad photos, how do you keep record of what train it is that's in your photo, for down the road when you can't remember what happened a year ago. I leave captions on each of the photos that I upload to this site, but god forbid if something happens here, I need a system to keep all my personal photo captions safe. The backups should get the gallery and photos/captions going again, but as I know a number of people put photos on other sites instead, and they could fold shop someday, and there go your captions.

I'm thinking a master text file of each photo name, along with the caption next to each, or a master Excel file. Any ideas?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Not sure if this'll help you Zack or not, but when I actually know which train was in my photo, I use the train symbol as my photo title. Also, I tend to keep my photos in albums based on where and when I took them on my computer.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I can't be much help to you, as I only photograph three trains, and I always know what train it is. I usually keep the dates under the pictures here.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Zack, not sure if it will help you or not, but I have a form that I was able to use from the late Gary J. Benson's book "The Art of Railroad Photography" I can send you a scan of it if you want.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

conrailmike wrote:Zack, not sure if it will help you or not, but I have a form that I was able to use from the late Gary J. Benson's book "The Art of Railroad Photography" I can send you a scan of it if you want.
A scan probably would help...then i can try to make my form similar to it.. please email it to webmaster@railroadfan.com

Thanks!
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Zack the way Wayne and my self do it is just get a sprial note book, preferably one with out the rip out pages, and have at it. I like to start out going across with, Time, Loco numbers, and how many cars.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Ta Da! heres what I use, if anybody wants, I can send them the template in Microsoft Word.

Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Here's the one I sent to Zack, I had a couple dozen 50 sheet pads of these made up at the printer.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Yea, I figured it out after a couple of tries...