What ya think?

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
SDavey
BANHAMMERED

What ya think?

Unread post by SDavey »

Well this photo was rejected on that one site, I think you all know what Im refering to. Anyways, they said this photo I submitted the following issues. Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image.
- Size (Dimensions): The photo needs to be closer to 1024x768 or 800x600 pixels.

Any Suggestions?

tsby_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tsby_fan »

Well, here's what I tried, following what they suggested. I'm not an expert, but what do you think? Does it improve the composition? Maybe they wanted you to remove the clutter from the background to focus on the train. Just a thought.

Al
Last edited by tsby_fan on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tsby_fan
Railroadfan...fan

BTW, 600 by 516 dpi
Last edited by tsby_fan on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I just commented about railpictures.net a moment ago on another post before clicking on this one. I want to know who they are trying to fool when their site claims RPElite membership does not get you preferential screening. Bull Plop!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

That is close the the right crop, Dane you pritty much nailed it. But sooner or later, they are going to nail you for the commin angle/cloudy day-commin power thing, as you are on the dark side of the train. If its a southbound in the moring you need to be on the east side of the tracks. Now you may not get the photo you want, but if you want it on the big site, you have to find a diffrent place.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

trainjunkie47 wrote:I just commented about railpictures.net a moment ago on another post before clicking on this one. I want to know who they are trying to fool when their site claims RPElite membership does not get you preferential screening. Bull Plop!
I agree.

I was looking through some of Jon Hall's train mags yesterday (a couple issues of "Trains") and joked with him about how many shots in those mags would be rejected on railpics. Even one on the front cover would have been rejected ("poor lighting on the front", they'd say).

Amazing. Just WHO are they accepting pictures FOR? Do pictures on their site get used for magazines? If so, why are THEIR standards so much greater than magazine standards, where the quality of train photos actually MATTER?!

Hmmm...

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

Well sd70accsxt700 nailed this one.

Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.

Ill just wait a couple days see what other shots I have and either try again or go with others. Thanks for you guys' inputs.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

chicago4900 wrote:Well sd70accsxt700 nailed this one.

Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.
Yeah, God forbid trains are photographed on...<gasp> CLOUDY DAYS! :roll: :lol:

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

I think we are starting to go a little overboard on the bashing. You seriously cant expect to take a photo from the dark side and get in. Cloudy had noting to do with it. It obvosuly was not a bright sunny day. It may have made it taking it from the other side but then you have to deal with all the other stuff. I agree for there rejection, dark side of the train, commin power (I believe when they say commin power, it dosent mean a specific type of loco ie. GP38, SD70, but more is that power commin to that train or railroad, ie. HESR only has a small roster of locos, there fore you would expect to see just about all there power at any one time on all the trains). If your out taking photos specificly to get on rp.net, you are out for the wrong reason. No I dont disagree that some of there choices baffle me, but most of the ones, that get posted here, are ones that defy the basic phoslophiy of photography. It took me over a year to get one on there, and then another 6 months before I got a second one. Even today only 1 out of about every 10 get on, but then I have verry verry selectivley select the one that I think have better than a 75% chance of making it.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Common Power my @@@, I see an Ex-BNSF C30-7, and a HESR GP40 that prolly has five combinations of possilble letters on the end of it that make it a unique unit. If common power is the case, then why did they accept a shot of mine with a CP AC4400CW, after all CP has alot more AC4400's than the HESR has C30-7s
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Right Mike but your missing what I am saying. To the HESR the C30-7's on any given day is just as commin a power as C44AC's on the CP. That is all the HESR has. Look at the CP SD40-2's, those arnt as commin any more, although other railroasd have them, they are not as commin. SOO SD60M's for example, on a train on CSX in Michigan, is not as commin. If the HESR has assigned C30-7's to Coal train service only, or the 8800's to Durand yard only, and that is only where they used them, not on road trains or switchers, only what they were assinged to, then yes it would not be commin, but you probilly have a 75% chance that you will see the C30-7's on any of there road trains on any given day. I would say the 8800 on the point was not commin, as the 8800's for the most part for the past few years, have been keept in Durand yard, but given the rest of what is wrong with the photo, then it is not special enough to warent it getting accepted.

What dose this mean?
I see an Ex-BNSF C30-7, and a HESR GP40 that prolly has five combinations of possilble letters on the end of it that make it a unique unit.

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

Well all of us arguing over what photos railpictures.net will accept is like playing Michael Jordan in a game of horse, because you know you'll lose 99% of the time.

Yes, I should have shot it from the other side of the train to get the better sunlight, but I liked the angle at which I shot it. There screeners are very weird about what they say, lets use my photo as an example. First they said it was a bad crop and not the right size. Then they said it was a common power cloudy day shot. Lets be honest, GP's are common power.

While I feel my shots are improving over the last few months, I still have room for improvement. I even have 3 that were accepted in the last week and a half.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

What dose this mean?
Quote:
I see an Ex-BNSF C30-7, and a HESR GP40 that prolly has five combinations of possilble letters on the end of it that make it a unique unit.
I was refering to how before you had a GP40 and a GP40-2, now adays with rebuilds you have GP40X, GP40-2LW (just a wide cab but still a verson) and prolly a few other combinations like the SD40 has aquired like SD40-2CLC, SD40-2Q and so on.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Mike Tabone wrote:
What dose this mean?
Quote:
I was refering to how before you had a GP40 and a GP40-2, now adays with rebuilds you have GP40X, GP40-2LW (just a wide cab but still a verson) and prolly a few other combinations like the SD40 has aquired like SD40-2CLC, SD40-2Q and so on.
CMGN 8802 and HESR 8804 are GP38ACs, rebuilt GP40s. Talk about confusing. :P
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Matt
tsby_fan isn't me. Dane = tsby388

BTW, nice pics tsby_fan.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Sorry

tsby_fan
Railroadfan...fan

sd70accsxt700 wrote:That is close the the right crop, Dane you pritty much nailed it.
Thanks- I am by no means an expert in photographyl I haven't even reached the level of 'pert' yet! I just tried what looks good to the eye. I like to play around with my photos, the few I get to take, just to see what I can do.

Al (tsby_fan) :)

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Sorry Al just seen the TSBY and assumed, and everyone knows what happens when you assume. You make a ASS out of U and ME :lol: But yes you pretty much nailed it.