What is it about RP.net?

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

What is it about RP.net?

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Maybe I'm just weird, but I just don't get WHY everyone insists on repeatedly uploading their pictures to RP.net when they know it'll get rejected by them!? RRpicturearchives let's youy upload shots all day long, no judging! Maybe RP.net is for the more photography oriented railfans, I've always been point and shoot.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Conrail Jon wrote:Maybe I'm just weird, but I just don't get WHY everyone insists on repeatedly uploading their pictures to RP.net when they know it'll get rejected by them!?
Because it's fun to piss and moan about being rejected? Image :lol:

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

Ive been having better luck with that site lately. 7 pictures accepted in 2007, but ive had my share rejected too.
Last edited by SDavey on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Hey ConrailJon, I get your point. I am sure the screeners at RP.net shake their heads every day at some of what is submitted. I just have two bones of contention to pick with them and I will not back off.

First, I have a host of shots rejected because they are not brightly lit. Not all of us live in Southern California or the Texas flatlands. Many days there is poor light here in Michigan and I have a full time job where I cannot just go shoot trains on Thursday because it is sunny that day. Can the subject detail be seen clearly, is it exposed properly, is it a good angle, is it cropped proprely? When all that criteria is met and my shot is rejected because it is not a bright sunny day, I have a right and an obligation to be PO'ed.

Second, I see a host of shots that do make it in that clearly should not. Most all of their shots are outstanding, but there are a 1000, give or take, that are anything but. If they want to set the bar high, great. It is nice to see someplace that does. Just keep the bar at the same level for everyone concerned. An exception can be made for shots that are newsworthy.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I agree 100% with you, trainjunkie. And might I add, you're darned if you do, darned if you don't with them. For instance, unless the power is unique (steam engine, short line rare loco, etc), they generally won't accept a shot taken on a cloudy day no matter HOW perfectly exposed it is. However, if you take a shot on a sunny day, you're likely to get rejected due to "distracting shadows" or whatever. So basically they've narrowed down what sections of track are acceptable to shoot on due to the location of trees causing shadows, timing of the train, etc. Some shots will NEVER get in, no matter how great they are due to some minor details that they seem are against the rules of railroad photography.