Headlight "ghosting"

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
BB
Railroadfan...fan

Headlight "ghosting"

Unread post by BB »

Had the problem of headlight ghosting with the pictures of the train coming head on around the curve in Eastlake with the low light. This is taken with a Canon Rebel XT and had a UV filter on the lens. I've read taking the filter off might reduce it or would there be a need for a different type of filter? Anyone else have such problems? Thanks

MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Most certainly have had those same problems.. they are greatly reduced when you take off the UV filter...
I do believe there are some high end UV filters that will not have this same problem. I had a cheaper UV filter, bought it because people said it's nice to have it on so that you have a layer of protection from scratching the lens glass itself, but those locomotive headlights are the issue. Light passes through the UV filter, bounces off your lens, back off the UV filter, then into the lens..that light is what causes the ghosting.
The ghosting is definitely increased when the headlights are headon with your angle of photographing.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I had the same problems with a UV filter when I got my Rebel XT last summer.
I talked with Zack about it, and he told me basically the same thing as he said above...so I took it off. I haven't had any "ghosting" or Lens Flare, as I call it, since then.
So bottom line, take it off.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I experienced that for the first time yesterday with my 100-400 lens while using a CP filter. Not all of them had the ghosting, but some of the ones where I was shooting at full zoom or close to it had it. At 100mm I did not experience the little green ghosts.

Fortunately with a little patience it can be removed in photoshop.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Thanks guys! Lots to learn. :)
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

BB dident you know, MQT just installed these green lights so it can have night vision in the cab! lol
Last edited by i995impalass on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

i995impalass wrote:BB dident you know, MQT just installed these green lights so it can have night visionin the cab! lol
lol

What! I thought they were lightning bugs. j/k
Brandon

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

BB,

I'm using a Nikon D-50 which I believe is close to the rebel in performance. I take all mu shots with a UV filter, and have never had the ghosting problem.

There is a UV filter specifically designed for the digitals, and it may be different from the ones used for 35 MM.

Your best bet may be to get one from Ritz Camera and give it a try. They let you take some things on a ten day trial basis.

I got a 2X teleconverter from them and can extend my 70/300 to 600MM. No way was I going to take that back even though I could have in the ten days.

I'm not a professional photographer, so this advice is worth just what you paid for it.