A couple of rejects

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
J T
Hates Supper

A couple of rejects

Unread post by J T »

Just had these rejected by railpics. I cropped them due to their original "bad cropping" rejections. Now all of a sudden the lighting is bad. Anyway, here are the pics with my appeal responses. Are they f'in clueless on that site?

And how does the appeal process work? Does anyone ever actually get a response to an appeal? I sent in a couple of appeals two days ago with no response, even though they say "we'll get back to you".

Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Poor Lighting (Dark): The image is too dark.
- Distracting Shadows

I have to strongly disagree regarding the "poor lighting." The emphasis on this photo was the amber glow from the sunrise on the train, which is dramatic and technically perfect, from a photography standpoint. Secondly, the shadows are not distracting, as they add nice lead in lines to the subject.

I'm sure I can find PLENTY of accepted shots in the database with stronger shadows, as well as plenty of shots with less impacting light.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough nose light on the subject.
Reason for Appeal:

I don't know what photo you are looking at, but this one is NOT backlit. The train is heading southbound with a southeastern angle from the sun. There is PLENTY of light on the nose for it to be appreciated, as well as the side of the train being perfectly illuminated.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Someone please tell me how this shot made it? It's not sharp at all and the front of the train has LESS light on it than mine:

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I dont know dude, but I think you are going to blow there mindes with that techinical response on the first one.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:I dont know dude, but I think you are going to blow there mindes with that techinical response on the first one.
:lol: Well, whether it's true or not (it's far from perfect), I just wanted to hit them with some technical speak to see if they'd respond. But of course, they probably won't.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Someone please tell me how this shot made it? It's not sharp at all and the front of the train has LESS light on it than mine:
The reason that the shot made it is that the photographer is probably in "the club". If not, they like how the train comming off on the bridge. :? Please someone tell my why they will let in a shot of common power on a cloudy day, with telephone poles in the foreground (blocking parts of the engine), and that they will reject a picture of the last RS2 in freight service because there is a telephone pole in the backround (on a sunny day). :? Wait,...don't answer.
Does anyone ever actually get a response to an appeal?
It depends on what you consider a "responce". All I get is an email saying something along these lines:

Your appeal for photo id ****** has been processed and has been rejected.
Admin Comments >>
>> http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=******

I don't get comments from the screeners, no matter how much I plead. Or, if I ask them a question in my appeal, along with my side of the reject, all that they will say is, ">>". :x

Those are great pictures J T, and just don't let those screeners get to you. If they don't want a great picture on the site, well its their loss, no yours. Take your talent elsewhere. Just don't get overworked about Railpictures, but don't give up.

LSRC

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

So JT see my point in this thread?
http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3173

BTW nice pics... looks like a lady in the one AMTK pic. think I have been hearing one on the radio Along the Michigan line.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Thanks for the words, guys. I guess I just like a challenge, and when something that I worked for (been beating the crap out of my car to get to those locations as fast as possible! :lol: ) gets rejected, it just ticks me off a little...ESPECIALLY if I can find plenty of examples of pictures which are LESS technically sound (like the one above).

Look, if I upload a picture that is boring or the location is too common, then tell me. I CAN accept that. I understand a shot of the Amtrak in the country isn't as interesting to the viewer as one going over a 500' trestle. I'd rather know it was rejected due to an uninteresting location. But to say "bad cropping" or "bad lighting" is just bogus, especially when I have a shot like the one above with a color of lighting that doesn't happen very often. I planned that shot knowing full well that the color of the sun would have THAT glow at THAT location at THAT moment in time. Two months from now, I won't be able to get that shot. The lighting captured in that shot was intentional...and I think it provides a nice warmth that is missing from the second shot.

And Scooter, you mention the lady...that's what I thought, too. I love how their faces were lit up by the sun. Also, I did see that thread you linked to...and I commented on that picture. :)

Anyway, I'm done ranting now. I suppose if I paid money and joined the "elite" there, I'd probably have a better chance of non-rejection. Perhaps that is part of the motivation of rejection.

Sorry if I've sounded like I'm whining about this. I know I'm new here and you guys are probably thinking "this guy just needs to get over it!" :lol:

Trust me, I will.