Temp photos to RPnet.

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Temp photos to RPnet.

Unread post by Scooterb »

These only will be up until deleated. 10 sent 10 rejected.
http://www.railpictures.net/members/vie ... serid=2935
Oh well will try some more tonight.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Temp photos to RPnet.

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:These only will be up until deleated. 10 sent 10 rejected.
http://www.railpictures.net/members/vie ... serid=2935
Oh well will try some more tonight.
Ouch...they definately like hitting that "bad angle" button of theirs... I wonder that if when you take the picture, if you could still have it focused well if the train is further to one side, and try to have the rest of the train not run off the edge of the frame, but have it either show the whole train or have scenery cut it off. Just an idea...
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

High Sun, I thought sun was good. Scooterb I like all of your shots.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Thanks Mike :wink: most of these shots were rejected the first time I sent them in just re edited and giving them one last shot.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Wow, incredible. The "bad angle" ones are the silliest, considering you can find PLENTY of pictures in their database all with the SAME angle of every one of those shots! Not to mention the backlit ones...whatever.

I wish I had never found out about railpics.net. The more I see this crap, the more it pisses me off.

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

10 of out 10 rejected. Been there done that myself. I had a point and shoot digital camera for the first two years I have been shooting pictures and photoshop elements. Even doing some touch up work in Photoshop they still say its to dark.

Long story short, I bought a new camera about a week ago, its a Canon Powershot S3IS. So I tried submitting the shots I took in Lansing Wednesday afternoon to rail pictures.net, and 5 out of 5 shot down. The Non-Train pictures Ive taken with the new camera look good, so maybe its not just me. Every time I say why bother with them anymore I always come back for more.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Has anyone on here joined the "elite"?

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

Well 2007 is off to a sort of good year for me in the railroad photography department. Rail pictures.net acutally accepted some of my pictures. Ive decided that have to out fox them, so ive been thinking more ahead of spots to shoot in and if the train will be backlit, long with shooting more of the fronts of the locomotive to avoid them saying it was a bad angle shot.
I still have gotten a few of those.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I dont mean to sound snotty, but that is what taking good photos of anything is about, unless your looking for a specific sort of shot. Making sure the sun is behind you and not in front of you, composing the sceen better, angle of shot, ect. I know we all female dog about RP.net, but I believe deep down inside it is making us all better photographers (I have to admid that from time to time I still have relapses).
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:I dont mean to sound snotty, but that is what taking good photos of anything is about, unless your looking for a specific sort of shot. Making sure the sun is behind you and not in front of you, composing the sceen better, angle of shot, ect. I know we all female dog about RP.net, but I believe deep down inside it is making us all better photographers (I have to admid that from time to time I still have relapses).
I agree somewhat with what you are saying, but railpics seems to be a) full of themselves and b) VERY inconsistent.

I looked through the gallery of a photographer who had hundreds of shots on railpics, and MANY could have been rejected by some of the standards of rejections I've seen lately. It seems that when you reach a certain level with them, they are more relaxed in what they accept.

Also, I have several train books with thousands of photos in them, and in a couple that I've reviewed lately, I'd estimate more than 50% of the photos in them would be rejected. The same goes for some mags I look at.

So I'm wondering, just WHO is railpics there for?

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

I agree with you Matt, it has definatly made me a better photographer.
I also know some of my earlier shots would not make the site at this time , but JT has a point they are becoming very inconsistant. It seems they favore certain photographers over others at times.
But I have a lot of shots on that site, and lately I cant get anything accepted. But remember it is there site and they pay for it and can post/pick what they feel fit.
That is why I like this site or http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx