Printing digital photos

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Printing digital photos

Unread post by ~Z~ »

For those of you who occassionally print off their digital photos, do you print them at home, or send them off to get printed?

My woman is getting into digital photos finally, and I'm trying to compare online services to print them. Sent off one of hers, and one of my train photos to Meijer, Walgreens, and Walmart so far so we can see the differences in the same pictures. Just sent them out tonight, Walgreens will have them done tonight, but I'll wait till tomorrow to get them... meijers will be done soon, but walmart had a week wait...
Meijer is $.19 for a 4x6, same with walgreens for in store, walmart is $.15 for in store pickup.
Figured it's more cost effective to order online once in a while, rather than having a home printer...any suggestions?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Hi Zack,I do my 4x6 photos at home on a Kodak easy printer it cost a little more than Sam's club.FOR 8X10'S i don't like computer copies.Just my $.02

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

I've had a few 4x6's done using Sony's website. Very nice. 4x6's are on sale right now for a dime and shipping doesn't cost a whole lot.
http://www.imagestation.com
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

wife uses wallgreenies alot she seems to like it
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I got at Lexmark scanner, printer, copyer with 4 in 1 card reader, works great, can't tell a difference in my prints from my LCD screen to the real thing, I use some odd water proof paper instead of photo paper (like teams use in parades) and the pictures look better then they do on regular glossy paper.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

skrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by skrail »

i usually go t owalmart..of course, its like 40 at a time...
i started there. the lady @ counter is a dog show photographer.she has helped me with alot of tips.
also, she helps me choose frames and such.
scott
Scott-NS Imagineer

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

I pay to much but I have to!

Unread post by signmasters »

We just got a new photo printer which at .15¢ a photo it will take me 782,687,211 years to pay for it but what great prints, been printing my train photos on canvas and selling them at the shows from $19.00 to $120.00 each. This is not for everyone but for us this has been a first step before our 44" printer.

Epson Stylus Photo R2400

8-color Epson UltraChrome K3™ pigment inkset for archival color and black and white photos worthy of gallery display
Nine ink cartridges including user-interchangeable Photo and Matte Black
Output photos up to 13 inches wide using a maximum 5760 x 1440 optimized dpi
Speeds through a 11" x 14" photo in as fast as 1 minute 47 seconds¹
Creates borderless photos in seven popular sizes
Print to glossy, matte, roll, fine art and board medias using three separate paper paths
Built-in fast connectivity with Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire®
Premium ICC profiles for Epson Stylus Photo R2400 now available

Redefining Fine Art Photography

Create stunning color and black and white prints with the Epson Stylus® Photo R2400. A welcome addition to any photo studio, this revolutionary printer delivers large, archival prints worthy of gallery display. Its professional ink set, 8-color Epson UltraChrome K3™, includes three levels of black and sets a new standard in fine art photography and black and white prints.

With its expanded ink set, this printer ensures a wider color gamut and superior midtones, highlights, neutrals and shadow details making it ideal for professional quality prints. With its Black, Light Black and Light-Light Black inks, anyone can easily achieve amazing black and white prints. And, since the inks are pigment-based, they deliver fade-resistant works of art that stay brilliant for up to 108 years in color and over 200 years in black and white.¹

The Epson Stylus Photo R2400 delivers studio quality results on virtually any artistic media. Three convenient paper paths support matte, glossy, canvas, roll, posterboard and many artist papers, so it's easy to expand your creativity. And, with its powerful production speeds, the Epson Stylus Photo R2400 lets you create brilliant displays in no time at all, and quickly move on to your next show-stopping exhibit.
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

I like to upload them to my computer adjust, cut and fit burn it, bring it to Meijers and get them made

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I just go with Wal-Mart. A bit annoying at times, but ok. You can really tell the difference between printing digital photos, and developing film though. The pictures arn't superb.

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Printer
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Printing digital photos

Unread post by J T »

railroadfan wrote: Sent off one of hers, and one of my train photos to Meijer, Walgreens, and Walmart so far so we can see the differences in the same pictures.
As far as a Walgreens and Meijer comparison, Walgreens wins hands down. This of course applies to the Standale Walgreens and Meijer, both on the same corner at Lk Michigan and Wilson. I've had many prints done at both places, and Walgreens seems to have a much better printing system, ESPECIALLY with 8x10's. An 8x10 produced from an 8 mp camera should NOT look like a digital photo. At Meijer, it does. The color is typically far from accurate and the prints lack detail and sharpness. With Walgreens, it looks like it was shot with a film camera. 'Nuff said.

For large prints, avoid Meijer as well. I've had some 16x20's printed, and they are VERY hit or miss. Of course, you don't have to accept it if it's not good, but I just hate wasting time going through the process only to have them hand me a large print that has printer lines all across it. :shock:

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

also the machine (kodak) at walmart, you need to watch if you cropped a photo, other wise it will be positioned very oldly and poorly on the paper.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e