Screener 2

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Screener 2

Unread post by SD40-2 »

I cant even remember what they where
Last edited by SD40-2 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Just by taking a quick look the bad cropping ones might get in if you get them down to 1024x768 they show on mine as 1024x945 ned to trim some off top and bottom. will reply more later this evening.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I cannot figure out railpictures.net screeners to save my life. I have one picture on their site and it is hardly the best one which I submitted. Not even close. For the most part, they have great pictures, but there are some that are very marginal. Just glancing at yours, I would say they have at a minimum a thousand pictures out of their 143,000+ they should have scrapped for the same reasons.

I would submit that the poor lighting excuse is the one that they overuse the most. I have had a couple that were initally rejected for cropping, then were rejected for another reason after cropping. Like the BCS in college football, the judgement is as much based on popularity as on content. :roll:

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Gee sounds like Trains mag I had a buitiful picture on conrail split day of the first train arround the greenwich curve even had brand new AC6000W on the point. They published a shot of the train going away, terrible shot, done by one of their staff photographers(who by the way was a pompus jerk, explitave deleted)

Sousa
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Nice pics :D

1. Darken/Saturate resize 1024x768

2. Leel even tho it is on an elevated curve tip it to the left. resize 1024x768

3.Probably need to show more of the fron of the train. Resize 1024x768

4. To dark

5. to Dark

6.Nice pic might want to show more of the front

7.Darken/Saturate

8.Darken/Saturate level to the left

9.tighter shot?

10.Darken/Saturate shapen

11.possably show more of the right side?

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

All those pictures are good, but one thing is for sure, railpictures SURE must HATE Alco!
1. Bad Angle (SD40-2 took care of this for me; cropping, etc)
2. Bad Angle
3. Bad Angle
4. Foreground clutter

They rejected photos of the 3563 because it has a few white clouds in it, and around 30 other "Bad Angle" pictures. This has not been my day.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

LSRC did they take any of them?

1. car cut off in picture can clone that out. Very nice picture

2.Poles behind loco, weeds covering trucks

3.Again pole

4.Poles in front

These are all very nice pics, but with my experiancs with them these could be part of the reasons.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I can't help it Scooter, there is not ONE spot to railfan in Alpena between the yard and Werth Road that does not have telephone poles. Not one. I appealed a few pictures, and asked along with the appeal why it was rejected other than the two words "Bad angle". The only other thing that they said besided "Rejected" is that, "Editing the post off the truck would be considered manipulation, and grounds for termination of your account." All I asked is if it would make it if I edited the post out. Sigh. It is hard to get decent pictures when there are telephone poles, and when you only get to see the train a handful of time a month, and all are at night.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

LSRC, it's going to be hard to get pics into railpictures.net definately when most trains don't run during ideal conditions outside... If you put comments to the screeners like "rare daylight run for LSRC", it may let more pics in.
I know that railpictures.net bores at the common 3/4 wedgie shot... don't know if it's possible, but can you get closer to the tracks so you are between the tracks and the small poles in front? Sometimes this will get rid of the poles in front and the large telephone poles extending up above the train itself.

For instance, one place for me on CSX near hudsonville, the pole line is really close to the tracks, so all you can manage is a shot like this with the poles in front of the train:

But further down, the poles are a little further from the tracks, so you can position yourself near the poles to get this effect:

Using your telephoto shots should also help, as this will keep away from those wedgies...
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Thanks. Say, was that CP AC4400 used on the Christmas Train?

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Zack you hit it on the head. Even maybe using the trees to mask the poles/wires in some spots.

Like this shot ( they would get me for forground clutter on this one but the trees leaves hide the poles wires somwhat and I have a gap between the pole and plow.

Compared to this shot.(wires pole merging with front of loco poles sticking out the top.)