Damaged Files

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Damaged Files

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I have a memory card that I can view the pictures while it's in the camera, However when I pull the card to bring these files onto my computer it (the computer) tells me that the format is bad or something along those lines.. What choice do I have to recover the images ? Normally this would not be a deal except I wanted the images.. The photo's are of the Wabash and Southern Unit as they passed in Waterloo IN... Idea's ?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Damaged Files

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Email the files to me, one per email, to Zack@railroadfan.com
Maybe you took them in .tiff or .cr2, RAW format by chance? I can at least take a look for you.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

I don't know what sort of camera you have, but some cameras allow you to plug the camera into a USB port and download from the camera. You could at least download them into a directory (folder) to see what you had.

HTH & keep us posted. If you can see the images on the camera, you should be able to get the images onto your computer.

John.

Russ Hill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Russ Hill »

I have had that same problem. My desktop computer is an HP from 2005. I use SanDisk, 2GB SD cards. I have a SanDisk 8GB, and a PNY 2GB, which will not work in my computer, but will work on my laptop, (ACER from 2007).

Try using another computer.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

What you see in the camera is a camera generated Jpeg and not the main image file.

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

Pat, are you referring to a thumbnail image that may (or may not) accompany the main image?

... try another computer :-)

John.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I have a Sony DSLR A-100 when I place my memory card into the reader it says that the file is not accessible that the file is corrupted and unreadable. Computer see's nothing ! and they are 30-40 images on the card. I also tried to leave the card in the camera and just plug the cord into the camera and get my pictures that way and it too did not work... The pictures should be in JPEG and sometimes I use RAW.
I want several of the images and would send my card anywhere to see if they can be retrieved. I also have 4 old hard drives that I would like to send in for a recovery as well. Idea's ?

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Notch 8 wrote:I have a Sony DSLR A-100 when I place my memory card into the reader it says that the file is not accessible that the file is corrupted and unreadable. Computer see's nothing ! and they are 30-40 images on the card. I also tried to leave the card in the camera and just plug the cord into the camera and get my pictures that way and it too did not work... The pictures should be in JPEG and sometimes I use RAW.
I want several of the images and would send my card anywhere to see if they can be retrieved. I also have 4 old hard drives that I would like to send in for a recovery as well. Idea's ?
Have you used the same camera/computer combo in the past? And, have you used that particular type of card in the past?
Brett

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

Can you try to make the transfer with a friend's equipment, or a different operating system? It could be faulty equipment, rather than a bad card or corrupt data, especially if your camera reads the images.

John.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I just purchased an identical camera off Amazon... Smoking deal ! anyway when I opened that camera I powered the camera up an checked to see if there was anything on the card and the camera indicated No Images and I have never been able to use the card that came with the camera even after a format. went to wally world and purchased a new card and all the issues that I was experiencing with the new equipment was resolved. I did place that card into several of my computers. Hence the reason I believe that something is/was corrupted. I believe if I can see it I should be able to retrieve it.....

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Notch 8 wrote:I just purchased an identical camera off Amazon... Smoking deal ! anyway when I opened that camera I powered the camera up an checked to see if there was anything on the card and the camera indicated No Images and I have never been able to use the card that came with the camera even after a format. went to wally world and purchased a new card and all the issues that I was experiencing with the new equipment was resolved. I did place that card into several of my computers. Hence the reason I believe that something is/was corrupted. I believe if I can see it I should be able to retrieve it.....
Still not clear. What we're asking is, have you ever uploaded photos before with your Sony camera and card, to your current computer? Or is the first time trying to do so?
Brett

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

So my question is how to get images off a memory card, I can see the pictures that are on the card but when I put the memory card in any device other then my camera nothing is found, says file might be corrupted. When I check the Properties of the memory card it is if there is nothing on the card. Put the card in the camera and I can view like 50 images. Is there a way to repair corrupted files ?
I have used this camera for the last 4-5 years and have taken 10's of thousand's of pictures with this equipment, so yes I know how to use it and I have tried to read the card in about 6 other computers to no avail...

jkh2cpu
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jkh2cpu »

Try a friend's computer on a different operating system.

Can you open a 'terminal window / command window' and cd to the card and then read the contents of the card?

What is your operating system, by the way? Some windows version? Who knows what corruption might inhabit your machine...

John.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

jkh2cpu wrote:Try a friend's computer on a different operating system.

Can you open a 'terminal window / command window' and cd to the card and then read the contents of the card?

What is your operating system, by the way? Some windows version? Who knows what corruption might inhabit your machine...

John.
Tried 5 different computer 3 different OS's and the computers don't show anything on the memory card but I go back to the camera and I can see the pictures.. like 50 of them, I was hoping someone had experienced this sort of issue and had a answer..