Finally...

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Finally...

Unread post by legostudios34 »

I have finally managed to produce a photo good enough for Railpictures.net. :D

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 736&nseq=0
Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Finally...

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Looks like Erie needs a date with the power washer!

Nice shot. I have to ask, what do you define as a "cold" day? :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

30 degrees, haha, that's cold to be train-watching here, I guess not for you Michigan-ers though. And I agree that it needs to get a wash.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

legostudios34 wrote:30 degrees, haha, that's cold to be train-watching here, I guess not for you Michigan-ers though. And I agree that it needs to get a wash.
I'll film in 30 anyday...but out the other night when it's 10 (and windy), no so much....at least when it comes to video...

When your hands get cold even inside your gloves, they'll probably not do so well without them...as operating said camera requires them off...

Although, I'm quite sure the people from places like Yellowknife, NWT share a different opinion...

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

What do you consider hot while trainwatching? ( I know this is off topic but this could turn into an interesting discussion ;) )

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

100 some last summer with Q241
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

cold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrQWj3Gcs54 shaking from the cold, about 5-10 outside

hot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XzFr5CyBVQ 100+ degrees
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

legostudios34 wrote:What do you consider hot while trainwatching? ( I know this is off topic but this could turn into an interesting discussion ;) )
Too hot? Depends on the amount of time really. I have never experienced it too hot to railfan in my time (101 degree high), but that is only for 10-15 minutes outside. I would not go to say Porter Junction (all day) if it was 85 or more. Spending 12 hours in 85 with sun and Humidity, not too much fun. Get dehydrated, sunburn, etc. Not totally worth it. That's why we tend to go in Spring/Fall, when temps are in the 70s.

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

MQT3001 wrote:
legostudios34 wrote:What do you consider hot while trainwatching? ( I know this is off topic but this could turn into an interesting discussion ;) )
Too hot? Depends on the amount of time really. I have never experienced it too hot to railfan in my time (101 degree high), but that is only for 10-15 minutes outside. I would not go to say Porter Junction (all day) if it was 85 or more. Spending 12 hours in 85 with sun and Humidity, not too much fun. Get dehydrated, sunburn, etc. Not totally worth it. That's why we tend to go in Spring/Fall, when temps are in the 70s.
I went to Spencer, NC on July 3rd and it was 104 degrees, there was no shade, no clouds, and being packed around a turntable with a bunch of idling locomotives didn't help either. Paramedics had to be called at least 3 times for heat exhaustion (a scanner is good for more than just trains ;)) The paramedics probably thought all 3000 of us were nuts.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Congrats on your first RP accepted submission.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

It gets just as hot here as in Georgia, same humidity too, it gets a lot colder here though. It was 4 the other morning here and 6 months ago it was 107.

Nice shot.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote: I'll film in 30 any day...but out the other night when it's 10 (and windy), no so much....at least when it comes to video...

When your hands get cold even inside your gloves, they'll probably not do so well without them...as operating said camera requires them off...
Hey, little buddy, 1 degree below zero, with a 20 minute hike each way:

Time for your parents to invest in some warmer winter clothes for you. :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: I'll film in 30 any day...but out the other night when it's 10 (and windy), no so much....at least when it comes to video...

Hey, little buddy, 1 degree below zero, with a 20 minute hike each way:

Time for your parents to invest in some warmer winter clothes for you. :wink:
Keep in mind I don't always film anyway. I actually prefer to watch trains in winter than film them. All the flying snow is much better watching in person. That in itself poses a problem, because snow on the camera lense is ARGH! You wanna see what Z151 did to my shot several weeks ago?

Anyway, it's more of a preferance than law. If the train was somehow special (heritage power, special cars, etc) then I'd be more inclined to film. Some people have different preferances. Some people don't care for Amtrak. Others climb trees. In the end, it's all about how you enjoy the train.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT3001 wrote: That in itself poses a problem, because snow on the camera lense is ARGH! You wanna see what Z151 did to my shot several weeks ago?
take notes MQT, J_T was well back from the track and the flying snow... as well as wearing warm clothes :wink:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote: Keep in mind I don't always film anyway. I actually prefer to watch trains in winter than film them. All the flying snow is much better watching in person.
This is quite possibly the most confusing thing I've ever read on this site. :lol:

Umm...you hit record, stand back and watch the train go by. When WOULDN'T you be "in person" when filming a passing train? :lol: What difference does it make if you're recording or not recording when a train is rolling by? Either way, you get to *watch* it go by...in person.
That in itself poses a problem, because snow on the camera lense is ARGH! You wanna see what Z151 did to my shot several weeks ago?
If you get snow on the lens from standing too close to the train when filming, that's your own fault. :P

By the way, no snow on either lens. :)

GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: That in itself poses a problem, because snow on the camera lense is ARGH! You wanna see what Z151 did to my shot several weeks ago?
take notes MQT, J_T was well back from the track and the flying snow... as well as wearing warm clothes :wink:
Warm clothes...HA! To give you a general idea, I'm in shorts if it's gonna make 50!
J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: Keep in mind I don't always film anyway. I actually prefer to watch trains in winter than film them. All the flying snow is much better watching in person.
This is quite possibly the most confusing thing I've ever read on this site. :lol:

Umm...you hit record, stand back and watch the train go by. When WOULDN'T you be "in person" when filming a passing train? :lol: What difference does it make if you're recording or not recording when a train is rolling by? Either way, you get to *watch* it go by...in person.
That in itself poses a problem, because snow on the camera lense is ARGH! You wanna see what Z151 did to my shot several weeks ago?
If you get snow on the lens from standing too close to the train when filming, that's your own fault. :P

By the way, no snow on either lens. :)

What I mean by "in person" is that when I'm filming, I'm too busy doing that sometimes than to just enjoy the darn thing. Setting up, making sure it's level, getting engine numbers, etc. Sometimes it's nice to relax and watch them fly by.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Even using multiple camera angles, I set up, push record, sit back and relax and enjoy the show. :-) Sounds like you're making excuses. :P

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:Sounds like you're making excuses. :P
I can concede that :wink:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

The next time I see you out by the tracks recording video, I'm going to yell at you to sit back and relax and enjoy the show while your camera does all the work. :D

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

my record is minus 20 3 years ago in Lansing blowing out switches for 12 hours. That was cold. After a while you get used it it.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e