Another jump..................

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Another jump..................

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

.......from the Canon T3 to the D7. Thoughts ?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Another jump..................

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Rebel T3 to the 7D, not D7, correct?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I think it's an upgrade enough. Just don't shoot above ISO 800 with a 7D, and you'll be fine. In fact, the particular sensor has quite a bit of resolving power. The AF system is superior to the T3 and I was impressed at how quickly it locks focus. With Group A lenses, the cross-type sensors are very accurate and fast.
Brett

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Yeah Zack, D7. Gotta not type when tired. :D There is a ton of stuff to learn on the D7. I may not live long enough to figure them all out.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Yeah Zack, D7. Gotta not type when tired. :D There is a ton of stuff to learn on the D7. I may not live long enough to figure them all out.
D7 or 7D? Letter then number, or number then letter? Please reply when not tired :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

D7 would be a Nikon thing if it existed, M.D. :wink:

I wish the 7D had a flip screen. I just bought a second 60D body (because of the flip) but I would have preferred the 7D. I've heard nothing but good things about it from owners.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

The 7D is a fine camera, and if there's issues with high ISO's then I'm gonna say that's a user problem :mrgreen:

Focusing is excellent and quick on those, have shot weddings with them and they are great cameras.
bdconrail29 wrote:I think it's an upgrade enough. Just don't shoot above ISO 800 with a 7D, and you'll be fine. In fact, the particular sensor has quite a bit of resolving power. The AF system is superior to the T3 and I was impressed at how quickly it locks focus. With Group A lenses, the cross-type sensors are very accurate and fast.
There's nothing wrong with the high ISO's on a 7D, the last wedding I shot I had a frame or two that were at 6400 and were awesome. What were the troubles you had with it?

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

conrailmike wrote:The 7D is a fine camera, and if there's issues with high ISO's then I'm gonna say that's a user problem :mrgreen:

Focusing is excellent and quick on those, have shot weddings with them and they are great cameras.
bdconrail29 wrote:I think it's an upgrade enough. Just don't shoot above ISO 800 with a 7D, and you'll be fine. In fact, the particular sensor has quite a bit of resolving power. The AF system is superior to the T3 and I was impressed at how quickly it locks focus. With Group A lenses, the cross-type sensors are very accurate and fast.
There's nothing wrong with the high ISO's on a 7D, the last wedding I shot I had a frame or two that were at 6400 and were awesome. What were the troubles you had with it?

I guess we all have different standards. Even with noise reduction at ISO 6400 on the 7D, vs. full frame, it was terrible. This is not an unknown problem with APS-C sensors. With NR sure they were what I'd call "useable", maybe, but certainly not anything like the 5D3 or 1DX can do, which are 8 x 10 printable at ISO 12,800 with 40% NR.

This is far off topic, however, and I agreed the 7D was a good camera. But with regards to high ISO on the 7D, hardly user error, but rather, different standards. Railfan photography? The 7D is fantastic, which is what I'm sure the OP is going to use it for.
Brett