Windows Movie Maker

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Windows Movie Maker

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I noticed that when I use WMM to edit my videos before uploading to youtube, it takes the resolution down to 480p. I shoot everything in 1080HD and that is how I want it to show up on youtube. Is there a setting on WMM that I am not familiar with or a different program altogther that I could use that would not downgrade the resolution? I'm still earning WMM so I may have missed something.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Windows Movie Maker

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Which version of Windows Movie Maker are you using? The XP version does not have high def (way too old). Not sure about Vista. Win7 does.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I'm using windows 7 version so I must have not found the option for high def.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Don't know what to tell you, the option to export in high def is very easy to find. Under "Common Settings" there's "For high definition display" that will export in 1080.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The main button does the "recommend" settings, usually 480p. Yes, you must click the 1080p button to get hi-def. But, beware that it will nearly triple the amount of data each video takes up. I recommend a 1-terabyte external drive for long-term storage. Stable state if possible. Every so often, copy over the new files from your computer. For added data-security, keep the external drive in a fireproof box/safe if you have one.....

That's how I do it anyway.....
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Ya my files are pretty big to start out with to, 1080 with a 30fps card. Each vid I take is close to a gig. Yes I am using a 1t hard drive but no safe. I really need to get the files backed up and protected. I started putting them on dvd's also but so much to do. What do you mean by stable state?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

alittlevanwerty wrote:Ya my files are pretty big to start out with to, 1080 with a 30fps card. Each vid I take is close to a gig. Yes I am using a 1t hard drive but no safe. I really need to get the files backed up and protected. I started putting them on dvd's also but so much to do. What do you mean by stable state?
Stable state hard drives contain no moving disk. In normal computers, the hard drive is a disc that spins. These stable stae drives function more like thumb drives, and have no moving parts, therefore, they are more stable data-wise.

They have exsisted for a while now, but they are now coming down in price. IDK about the "big names" but there are several DIY computer-building companies that make it easy to buy stable state drives and insert them into a computer with the correct fittings. My older cousin has gotten into it a lot, and showed me one he ordered the parts for and assembled (you get a main housing which itself contains slots and area to insert the proper equipement, such as the hard drive, fans, and mother board). He had one drive in it with room for 9 more (they slide right in). It cost about the same as a comperable computer from say Dell, and like I said, it had plenty of room for expansion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Pros:
-Less time for start-up
-Less suseptible to wear & tear, vibration, heat
-Uses less energy, creates less heat
-Virtually silent (no moving parts)

Cons:
-Costs more per GB, drives available up to 2 TB
-Data can only be overwritten so many times (but your computer will usually fail first)

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

MQT3001 wrote:I recommend a 1-terabyte external drive for long-term storage. Stable state if possible. Every so often, copy over the new files from your computer.
I hope you're not saving the .wmv files as your only video and deleting the originals. .wmv is mainly meant for internet streaming and has less quality than your original video.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

cbehr91 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:I recommend a 1-terabyte external drive for long-term storage. Stable state if possible. Every so often, copy over the new files from your computer.
I hope you're not saving the .wmv files as your only video and deleting the originals. .wmv is mainly meant for internet streaming and has less quality than your original video.
I thought .wmv in 1080p was the same as any other 1080p format? :?

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

MQT3001 wrote:
cbehr91 wrote:
I thought .wmv in 1080p was the same as any other 1080p format? :?
No, the bitrate of .wmv is significantly lower than the codec of the original video (probably .m2ts or a proprietary AVCHD codec depending on your camera's manufacturer).