Typical reply from RP.net "bad Cropping"

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Typical reply from RP.net "bad Cropping"

Unread post by Y@ »

JESUS JOHN JOSEPH JEFFERY F**KING CHRIST

RP is good.

Flickr is great.

Trains suck.

That is all.
Bottom text.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

Flickr>all

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtwhogger »

J T wrote:
gtwhogger wrote:What's your opinion on this, RP says bad cropping, my whole intent was to get the water tower and tree overhang to frame in the photo, I shot this in Portrait mode(vertical).

Any suggestions ?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... ey=6305922
Yes...too tall. Crop to 4:5 and get rid of a lot of that useless foreground.

This may or may not work:

conrailmike wrote:
2. Screw RP, get a Flickr account.
Get both.
JT, anyways thanks for the advice on this photo despite the ramblings of a completely different subject that had no merit on this? LMAO so to the rest who say nuts to RP yes I shoot for myself and don't use RP to measure my images up to the professional level so yes RP ticks me off as well especially when a 16 year old screener on there has no formal photography schooling or training to be screening some who have been doing this for 40 years or more but I use this to get stuff noticed by others as well, the BNSF paid me $3,000 to use one of my photos, the European publication of Railway Age Magazine used my EJ&E photo for an article on the CN purchase of the J and I was paid well for it's use so I may only have 17 entries on RP but it is still a useful tool despite the seemingly stupid judgements from the screeners in that one of my Night photos of Amtrak P370 at New Richmond got accepted and I submitted an identical night shot but latter in the month using my same settings and the image only had one difference, it was a controlling loco instead of a Cabbage unit and it was rejected for "Underexposed" and actually the image was brighter because I used 6 flash heads instead of 5, so go figure, LOL.

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

gtwhogger wrote:JT, anyways thanks for the advice on this photo despite the ramblings of a completely different subject that had no merit on this? LMAO so to the rest who say nuts to RP yes I shoot for myself and don't use RP to measure my images up to the professional level so yes RP ticks me off as well especially when a 16 year old screener on there has no formal photography schooling or training to be screening some who have been doing this for 40 years or more
Must not have been ramblings of THAT much of a different subject considering you just echoed it.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Better yet, get $2000-$2500 every weekend for your photography from the months of oh, April through late September. It's a significantly better validation than RP "accepting" a photo. Another issue, if anyone shoots with a Canon 1DX, better brighten in photoshop or camera RAW. The 1DX meters exactly, textbook, with absolutely no overexposed highlights. It doesn't look aesthetically pleasing, but it's correct, even though it appears ever so slightly underexposed. I tested each body out, at identical everything except I left ISO to auto. The 5D Mark III and 1D Mark IV still had slightly blown highlights in places, whereas the 1DX had none, same scene and time. I don't think there is need to bash RP, but that is why I don't bother submitting. Some people enjoy the challenge of getting a shot accepted or fixing a rejected one. Like all judging, it's rather subjective. If you want to take it so seriously, get paid on the weekends to do it. If not, have fun.
Brett

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

gtwhogger wrote:.... so yes RP ticks me off as well especially when a 16 year old screener on there has no formal photography schooling or training to be screening some who have been doing this for 40 years or more...
Who says you need schooling or a formal education in photography? There is no law saying you must have a formal degree to be able to shoot a great image. There is no law saying that if you have a good eye, you still can't be a screener because you have no formal photography education.

There are a number of well known pros out there who had no formal training in photography and simply had the vision to produce great work.

A good eye is a good eye.

Would everyone still be pissed if he wasn't 16? Let's face it, I bet a lot of the ones who are screaming about him being a screener wouldn't say one word if he was 45.

I'm not pointing fingers here but I bet some are pissed off because a 16 year old kid with a good eye shoots better photos then they do.

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

conrailmike wrote:
gtwhogger wrote:.... so yes RP ticks me off as well especially when a 16 year old screener on there has no formal photography schooling or training to be screening some who have been doing this for 40 years or more...
Who says you need schooling or a formal education in photography? There is no law saying you must have a formal degree to be able to shoot a great image. There is no law saying that if you have a good eye, you still can't be a screener because you have no formal photography education.

There are a number of well known pros out there who had no formal training in photography and simply had the vision to produce great work.

A good eye is a good eye.

Would everyone still be pissed if he wasn't 16? Let's face it, I bet a lot of the ones who are screaming about him being a screener wouldn't say one word if he was 45.

I'm not pointing fingers here but I bet some are pissed off because a 16 year old kid with a good eye shoots better photos then they do.

Yes a good eye is everything and it's all a matter of opinion on that 16 year old but when it comes down to it all those screeners primarily play favorites to there buds and when I see plain Jane shots get posted with uninteresting subject and someone else posts the same type of image gets it rejected as uninteresting all because it was his buds photo is not being a fair impartial screener, I have yet had that rejection but know others who have that should have had them posted more so than the accepted one should have!

I don't post all that often to RP and just don't care if I do, I make decent side money on weddings and portraits that rail photos really aren't part of my equation for suplental income, I just do it for kicks, and CRMike I don't have issues with a 16 year old per say but what that one does to accommodate his click is no good.

I posted this photo on here to ask for input but it seems everyone else wants to vent about RP and going Flickr, I for one wish "Z" would move the rest of this discussion into a separate location, I wanted constructive critism on the photo and I received it from a couple people and I thank them for that and appreciate it, this wasn't to be a female dog fest on the pro's and cons of RP so go ahead everyone and bash away at my comments cause I for one don't care and just have to laugh if it continues here, it just proves we don't have anything else better to do than female dog!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Stan, if you don't care for RP, why are you placing so much value on getting pics accepted or rejected? It seems to me that if someone didn't care for a website that they would just ignore it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:Stan, if you don't care for RP, why are you placing so much value on getting pics accepted or rejected? It seems to me that if someone didn't care for a website that they would just ignore it.
I'm not caring if I get it on RP! I still haven't submitted a repeal on this shot, it's no big deal, I just wanted input on the photo trying to figure out what they wanted out of that image, like I have said before, RP is a tool and if they post it fine, if they don't fine, I didn't start this BS on Flickr or RP and why someone hates it all I did was ask for an opinion on the Bad Crop issue that RP had with it and you gave me a response and so did someone else and thanks.

I post on there once in awhile and was just wondering what the bad crop issues were since they don't give that reason just said Bad Cropping and I posed the question onto the RRF.com group and got my answer but also others seem that they had to bash and praise other places, all I wanted was a critique not a dissertation on why they hate RP or Love Flickr? that sort of replies and attacks should not have been made on here on the "Photography Workshop" but in a different thread like Chit Chat or something, its not help just complaining is all it is, yes I should have just left it alone, but I am so sick of forums in were you ask questions you always have someone chime in with there stupid crap that has no merit or direct response to the issue at hand, this was why I joined this group back some time ago but it seems it is turning into the typical BS on most internet forums, Like I said JT I appreciate your input and thanks for spending the time to give your point of view on cropping my image, the other crap wasn't necessary from others.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

It's a discussion board, discussions of things lead to discussions of other things. Don't get bent out of shape about it.

I have been here for years and can honestly say it has not changed so I don't know where yo get the idea that it has in the year you have been a member.
Last edited by MagnumForce on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

Gtwhogger, I think the biggest mistake in your photo is that its of an NS loco. :roll:
Patrick Welch

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Proto48Patrick wrote:Gtwhogger, I think the biggest mistake in your photo is that its of an NS loco. :roll:
Stan, I think this is the REAL issue of the thread. :lol: :D
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

Yeah seriously I just try to get pictures of my truck on RP LOL http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 77&nseq=74 Thanks Aaron
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

J T wrote:
Proto48Patrick wrote:Gtwhogger, I think the biggest mistake in your photo is that its of an NS loco. :roll:
Stan, I think this is the REAL issue of the thread. :lol: :D

:wink: :wink:
Patrick Welch

RENALDO_MORRIS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RENALDO_MORRIS »

i Tell you what is bad 'cropping'......this draught we are having this summer. now THAT IS bad cropping. go take a pic of some bad crops an see if railpickers deny that one for BAD CROPPING.....EHHHAHAAAAAA

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

RENALDO_MORRIS wrote:i Tell you what is bad 'cropping'......this draught we are having this summer. now THAT IS bad cropping. go take a pic of some bad crops an see if railpickers deny that one for BAD CROPPING.....EHHHAHAAAAAA
"Is Renaldo around? I want to show him my toolbox!"

(2:36 into the vid)

:lol: