Any Suggestions?

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan

Any Suggestions?

Unread post by TCtrainguy17 »

Joined Railpictures just recently and so far I have two rejected images and zero accepted :? . The first one I can understand as it is backlit a bit. But I thought the second one was pretty good. Any suggestions on how to make them better?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... ey=3703986
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... ey=8378360

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Any Suggestions?

Unread post by Big Frank »

I would try something like this if you have a shot of it closer to the tree as such Image
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Lolz, Frank just cut the train and pasted it closer to the tree. Surprised you didn't move the tree closer to the train :)

His cropping and suggestion is good though.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

First off I cloned it not cut and past and second FUDGE I never even thought of moving the tree darn IT would have been Way easier

TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan

How's this?
Last edited by TCtrainguy17 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I spy an obstruction in image #1. I recommend you call the JT tree cutting service.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Yeha like that TC just turn up the exposure a bit and it will look good

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

TCtrainguy17 wrote:Any suggestions on how to make them better?
From railpictures.net:

http://www.railpictures.net/addphotos/guidelines.php
Manipulation:

The purpose of our website is to display genuine, authentic photographs of trains and railroad related scenes. Bearing this in mind, digital manipulation of photographs (beyond standard post-processing techniques such as levelling, sharpening, dust removal, etc.) is not permitted on photographs submitted to RailPictures.Net.
I would suggest not re-arranging reality since it violates their rules, etc. Getting a reputation for pulling those kinds of shenanigans also won't help you much if you ever want to get images published in magazines, etc.

My best suggestion would be to work on getting down basic composition and lighting and get a simple wedgie or two accepted first.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

MDH wrote:
From railpictures.net:

Manipulation:

The purpose of our website is to display genuine, authentic photographs of trains and railroad related scenes. Bearing this in mind, digital manipulation of photographs (beyond standard post-processing techniques such as levelling, sharpening, dust removal, etc.) is not permitted on photographs submitted to RailPictures.Net.
I would suggest not re-arranging reality since it violates their rules, etc. Getting a reputation for pulling those kinds of shenanigans also won't help you much if you ever want to get images published in magazines, etc.

My best suggestion would be to work on getting down basic composition and lighting and get a simple wedgie or two accepted first.
I was not suggesting he manipulate the photo such as I did I was showing him that it would be better if he had a photograph of the train closer to the tree as most of us take multiple shots in sequence

TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan

MDH wrote:
From railpictures.net:

Manipulation:

Thank you MDH,I understand your concern. I am fully against re-arranging reality. I have not rearranged anything on the image. It was simply a second image taken with the train closer to the tree as suggested by Big Frank
Big Frank wrote:...if you have a shot of it closer to the tree...
. All that has been done to the improved(?) image was basic RAW development and some leveling.

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

yeha on that last one you posted it looked good id raise the the exposure a bit on it tho

TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan

Big Frank wrote:yeha on that last one you posted it looked good id raise the the exposure a bit on it tho
Too late now, got rejected again. Still bad cropping.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... ey=9948148
I give up on getting this image on Railpictures. Flickr here it comes :lol:

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Manipulation:

Not to mention I like altering "reality" its fun and I dont try to upload those pics to RP and anybody can do a wedgie I like doing the Odd stuff plus shouldnt they be able to tell if it has been drastically altered oh wait they cant cause i have a laundry list of ppls stuff i have edited on RP If you see it and It looks real than it must be ;)

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Big Frank wrote:
Manipulation:

Not to mention I like altering "reality" its fun and I dont try to upload those pics to RP and anybody can do a wedgie I like doing the Odd stuff plus shouldnt they be able to tell if it has been drastically altered oh wait they cant cause i have a laundry list of ppls stuff i have edited on RP If you see it and It looks real than it must be ;)
I have no problem whatsoever with people doing whatever they want to their pictures for themselves - I'm simply pointing out the rules of the site. The screeners are human and are mostly just giving each submitted shot a quick review for the basics, not a detailed analysis looking for photoshop trickery. As with many things in life though, when you cheat your way through you usually end up cheating yourself the most in the end. (My opinion, take it for what it's worth and I won't bother moralizing any further on this.)

Oh, and if a person gets caught sending "modified" work to magazines pretending it's an un-altered photo the photographer could expect to get "black listed" for any future work (and the publishing field is fairly small and seemingly everyone knows everyone so...) So lets say you get your shop-job illustration on rp.net and a publisher asks to use it and wants the original file - then what do you do? Say no, admit you cheated or cheat again and hope you don't get caught? I'd rather play it straight to begin with, but that's me.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

MDH wrote:
Big Frank wrote:
Manipulation:

I have no problem whatsoever with people doing whatever they want to their pictures for themselves - I'm simply pointing out the rules of the site. The screeners are human and are mostly just giving each submitted shot a quick review for the basics, not a detailed analysis looking for photoshop trickery. As with many things in life though, when you cheat your way through you usually end up cheating yourself the most in the end. (My opinion, take it for what it's worth and I won't bother moralizing any further on this.)

Oh, and if a person gets caught sending "modified" work to magazines pretending it's an un-altered photo the photographer could expect to get "black listed" for any future work (and the publishing field is fairly small and seemingly everyone knows everyone so...) So lets say you get your shop-job illustration on rp.net and a publisher asks to use it and wants the original file - then what do you do? Say no, admit you cheated or cheat again and hope you don't get caught? I'd rather play it straight to begin with, but that's me.
Oh I agree totally I wouldn't Try to pass of a faked photo as an un altered I just do it cause its fun I would never submit anything top any publication that was severely false

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Wll the tree is "glowing" so that isn't good but that one definitely has potential IMO Lighten it up a bit, add some saturation, get rid of some dead space and sharpen it. Something more like this, hopefully you have the MP to pull it off. It still kind of seems to be a high sun type shot but I know how sporadic traffic is up there.

I do echo MDH's sentiment about attempting to get on some sunny day wedgies first but your stuff has potential IMO.

TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the suggestions Magnumforce. About trying to get a wedgie shot first. Unfortunatly all of my wedgies are either backlit or of poor quality. Some of the photos that are backlit I like but RP apparently doesnt, which is fine. To each his own.
Example: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... ey=4161212
All in all I've learned that I need to focus a little more on the position of the sun and my exposure. :D

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

What is your Flickr? I would like to add you in my contacts.

TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan

MagnumForce wrote:What is your Flickr? I would like to add you in my contacts.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/corey-stanke/

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

TCtrainguy17 wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:What is your Flickr? I would like to add you in my contacts.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/corey-stanke/
Added you as well. 8)
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/