Why Wedding Photography is Cool

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Why Wedding Photography is Cool

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

Last edited by Crow T Robot on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Suggestions

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I don't see cropping, but it DEFINATELY needs some CCW rotation. Also for me the shot is a little tight

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I really like that picture! love the thumbs up from the engineer!
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:I really like that picture! love the thumbs up from the engineer!
Same here. I am surprised it was not accepted :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Cropped far too tight, trains is a little off center (too much ground). Needs a little rotation as well.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

AARR wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:I really like that picture! love the thumbs up from the engineer!
Same here. I am surprised it was not accepted :?
Alot of great shots are snubbed by those idiots on RP.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I personally think it's a great shot and I don't see a problem with it, but I'm guessing they rejected it because of tight cropping, and not enough on top. Maybe a bit of rotation like others suggested. Yes, a great shot nitpicked by things that don't really matter and to reject based upon those things. It's a great exposure.
Brett

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

What is so "great" about this shot? Yes, I like the thumbs up, and standard cab EMD's are great, but lets overlook those two things for a second. It's cropped too tightly (fixable), there's nothing of interest in the foreground or background (not fixable), and it's just a near head-on wedgie. The exposure is good, although the contrast looks a bit off, and as already stated, it needs re-leveled. I'm not dissing the photographer or saying anything negative, but it's just an average wedgie shot. Nothing great, nothing special. But hey, we've all (including me) shot plenty of those!
Bottom text.

Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Ok, if I don't completely melt today I will attempt to fix the cropping I was thinking to tight so I'll start there.. The rotatation though should be slightly to the right side?? I think I see that after looking it over correct?

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Y@ wrote:What is so "great" about this shot? Yes, I like the thumbs up, and standard cab EMD's are great, but lets overlook those two things for a second. It's cropped too tightly (fixable), there's nothing of interest in the foreground or background (not fixable), and it's just a near head-on wedgie. The exposure is good, although the contrast looks a bit off, and as already stated, it needs re-leveled. I'm not dissing the photographer or saying anything negative, but it's just an average wedgie shot. Nothing great, nothing special. But hey, we've all (including me) shot plenty of those!
No sane person would argue with that Y@. However, photos do not need to meet all of those criteria to be on RP. I know this because I've looked at photos on RP and most of them are nothing special or meet any of the criteria you suggest. You do not need to be a professional photographer to get photos on RP and as Brent said, as long as the exposure is correct, most of the time they will get on. His exposure is correct. That's just my opinion and that is why I don't go on RP. I've shot weddings as backup, I've shot a ton of sports, and I can say this, there aren't many environments out there in photography tougher than railfan situations. My worst photos are all railfanning photos. It has changing light, fast-moving objects, focal lengths change rapidly. I actually congratulate photographers who can get a great looking railfan shot to look really good. It's tough out there, relatively speaking.
Brett

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I wasn't talking about only RP, but really just in general. Either way, good points Brett.
Bottom text.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

TrainWatcher wrote:I don't see cropping, but it DEFINATELY needs some CCW rotation.
Yeah, it defin-I-tely does.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

bdconrail29 wrote: No sane person would argue with that Y@. However, photos do not need to meet all of those criteria to be on RP. I know this because I've looked at photos on RP and most of them are nothing special or meet any of the criteria you suggest. You do not need to be a professional photographer to get photos on RP and as Brent said, as long as the exposure is correct, most of the time they will get on. His exposure is correct. That's just my opinion and that is why I don't go on RP. I've shot weddings as backup, I've shot a ton of sports, and I can say this, there aren't many environments out there in photography tougher than railfan situations. My worst photos are all railfanning photos. It has changing light, fast-moving objects, focal lengths change rapidly. I actually congratulate photographers who can get a great looking railfan shot to look really good. It's tough out there, relatively speaking.
Sorry, but railroad photography is easy with a capital E-A-S-Y. What IS hard is wedding photography. I wouldn't attempt that if my life depended on it!
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

J T wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote: No sane person would argue with that Y@. However, photos do not need to meet all of those criteria to be on RP. I know this because I've looked at photos on RP and most of them are nothing special or meet any of the criteria you suggest. You do not need to be a professional photographer to get photos on RP and as Brent said, as long as the exposure is correct, most of the time they will get on. His exposure is correct. That's just my opinion and that is why I don't go on RP. I've shot weddings as backup, I've shot a ton of sports, and I can say this, there aren't many environments out there in photography tougher than railfan situations. My worst photos are all railfanning photos. It has changing light, fast-moving objects, focal lengths change rapidly. I actually congratulate photographers who can get a great looking railfan shot to look really good. It's tough out there, relatively speaking.
Sorry, but railroad photography is easy with a capital E-A-S-Y. What IS hard is wedding photography. I wouldn't attempt that if my life depended on it!
No, wedding photography is easy....being GOOD at it is the hard part :mrgreen:

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:

Sorry, I forgot the being good at it part here too. I'm sure it's easy to shoot at Oak Harbor between 10am-2pm and get every shot perfectly exposed. So easy. Weddings were more controlled. The other thing about weddings is you can use a flash or fill flash and there are many portrait type situations. I can camp out near the front of the aisle and you can bet the lighting doesn't change while the bride comes up the aisle, so an 85mm prime lens is an easy shot on a FF camera. On the other hand, with sun overhead on an angle just to the southwest, I had 20E coming at me and 15N passing and I was trying to get a perfect exposure of the meet :cry:

Of course you could say, "Don't shoot between those hours outside in the summer dummy!" :mrgreen:
Brett

Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Well it got axed again for cropping and bad angle so that was my final try...

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

bdconrail29 wrote:
Sorry, I forgot the being good at it part here too. I'm sure it's easy to shoot at Oak Harbor between 10am-2pm and get every shot perfectly exposed. So easy. Weddings were more controlled. The other thing about weddings is you can use a flash or fill flash and there are many portrait type situations. I can camp out near the front of the aisle and you can bet the lighting doesn't change while the bride comes up the aisle, so an 85mm prime lens is an easy shot on a FF camera. On the other hand, with sun overhead on an angle just to the southwest, I had 20E coming at me and 15N passing and I was trying to get a perfect exposure of the meet :cry:

Of course you could say, "Don't shoot between those hours outside in the summer dummy!" :mrgreen:

Shoot an outdoor wedding and you'll learn REAL quickly about the changing light conditions :mrgreen:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

bdconrail29 wrote: Sorry, I forgot the being good at it part here too. I'm sure it's easy to shoot at Oak Harbor between 10am-2pm and get every shot perfectly exposed. So easy. Weddings were more controlled. The other thing about weddings is you can use a flash or fill flash and there are many portrait type situations. I can camp out near the front of the aisle and you can bet the lighting doesn't change while the bride comes up the aisle, so an 85mm prime lens is an easy shot on a FF camera. On the other hand, with sun overhead on an angle just to the southwest, I had 20E coming at me and 15N passing and I was trying to get a perfect exposure of the meet :cry:

The thing is, with a wedding you have humans to deal with, and humans who are expecting you to produce something great for them on the biggest day of their lives. You screw it up, you're the bad guy. Hell no...I want nothing to do with that...especially from an irate, PMS'd new bride! :lol:

At least if you take a bad photo of a train, the only person to be ticked off is yourself. :D

I respect wedding photographers with the work they do and the pressure they have to deal with more than any other photography profession.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote: Sorry, I forgot the being good at it part here too. I'm sure it's easy to shoot at Oak Harbor between 10am-2pm and get every shot perfectly exposed. So easy. Weddings were more controlled. The other thing about weddings is you can use a flash or fill flash and there are many portrait type situations. I can camp out near the front of the aisle and you can bet the lighting doesn't change while the bride comes up the aisle, so an 85mm prime lens is an easy shot on a FF camera. On the other hand, with sun overhead on an angle just to the southwest, I had 20E coming at me and 15N passing and I was trying to get a perfect exposure of the meet :cry:

The thing is, with a wedding you have humans to deal with, and humans who are expecting you to produce something great for them on the biggest day of their lives. You screw it up, you're the bad guy. Hell no...I want nothing to do with that...especially from an irate, PMS'd new bride! :lol:

At least if you take a bad photo of a train, the only person to be ticked off is yourself. :D

I respect wedding photographers with the work they do and the pressure they have to deal with more than any other photography profession.

That's why you play backup photographer 8)
Brett

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Re: Why Wedding Photography is Cool

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I came to this thread expecting dress malfunctions, now I am dissapointed.