Railpictures issues

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
Josh
Railroadfan...fan

Railpictures issues

Unread post by Josh »

Been having some issues with my railpictures account lately. I uploaded a fixed version of a photo that had been rejected (like I always do) and got banned for submitting the same photo more than once. They gave me an email address so I can contact them if I feel like I was banned in error. So ofcourse I did. But I'm starting to get the feeling it's just a dead email address that I will never hear back from (because I haven't). So today for the heck of it I decided to blow $4 or what ever it is to become a "Elite" member for a month with hopes of them letting me submitt somthing because after all (I'm paying them) but of course, even though I have unlimited photo submission slots, I still cant submitt anything. So I'm an "Elite" RP member who can't submit pictures. So I figure I can ask someone in the RP forums what I should do and along with being banned from uploading pictures I can't get on the forums which I believe is an "Elite" benifit. And if I try to create a different account, even with a different email, they know its me, and I am already banned. None of the "contact us" junk on the site gets any response. I would still really like to post my pictures here considering u have quite the back log. Has anyone else ever had any of these problems or have any idea how I can get my Railpictures back up and running again?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: Railpictures issues

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

www.flickr.com -> they won't ban you.

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

Mr. Tops wrote:http://www.flickr.com -> they won't ban you.
I agree, Flickr is a lot more fun. :D

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I would be interested in seeing some of the photos you are trying to submit.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MagnumForce wrote:I would be interested in seeing some of the photos you are trying to submit.
What he said. Show us what got you banned.
Bottom text.

Russ Hill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Russ Hill »

I post mine on; www.trainphotos.com

Josh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Josh »

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3051275

I belive this was it. It was either to bright and i made it darker or it was to dark and i made it bright i can't remember but when i resubmitted it i got banned.

slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by slwapprslw »

Do yourself a favor and forget about RP. Go to Flickr, instead. I'm on Flickr and see lots of interesting pictures. It's not the end of the word if you are not on RP. Matter of fact, I choose NOT to be on RP. I don't agree with their ideas and choose not to participate in their site.
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

slwapprslw wrote:Do yourself a favor and forget about RP. Go to Flickr, instead. I'm on Flickr and see lots of interesting pictures. It's not the end of the word if you are not on RP. Matter of fact, I choose NOT to be on RP. I don't agree with their ideas and choose not to participate in their site.
Neat.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I use both RP and Flickr, and I have very few problems with RP (compared to most people) but Flickr is far superior to RP.
Bottom text.

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

It's not too hard to get on RP.net...I just didn't take rejection very good. :lol: :roll:

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

You can shoot sunny day obscure wedgies and get every single one on as long as they are properly exposed.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

MagnumForce wrote:You can shoot sunny day obscure wedgies and get every single one on as long as they are properly exposed.
Who determines "proper exposure?" I shoot indoor basketball. I set my shutter speed to 1/500 sec and my aperture to f/6.3, ISO 3200. The camera tells me I'm properly exposed via the meter. I still overexpose by +2/3 manually. It's a compromise to get the player in good exposure but not underexposed or highlight blown. Is this properly exposed? The camera meter says I'm +2/3 EV too high.
Brett

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

bdconrail29 wrote:
Who determines "proper exposure?" I shoot indoor basketball. I set my shutter speed to 1/500 sec and my aperture to f/6.3, ISO 3200. The camera tells me I'm properly exposed via the meter. I still overexpose by +2/3 manually. It's a compromise to get the player in good exposure but not underexposed or highlight blown. Is this properly exposed? The camera meter says I'm +2/3 EV too high.
YOU determine proper exposure by using your in-camera meter ( they are not 100% accurate). YOU determine whether or not it's under or over exposed (it's usually pretty obvious). Which metering mode are you using? Spot? Center-weighted? Partial? It does make a difference, and your camera meter can be fooled. Try to remember that your camera is programmed to expose for what it thinks is reflecting (all in-camera meters are reflective, not incident) 18% grey. Does the indoor lighting change at all? It probably doesn't so you could go out and get an 18% grey card and set your exposure before the game starts, or find something that closely resembles 18% grey (in a pinch, your hand can be used). It's like when you're out railfanning, what are you metering off of? Before the train shows up (within the next 5 to 10 minutes), I tend to use the ballast to meter off of as it's usually close to 18% grey and then I'll decide whether or not I want to under or overexpose the shot.

Also, do you have exposure compensation on your camera? If you do, learn how to effectively use it.

Two general rules of thumb - 1. If subject is lighter than 18% grey then increase exposure 1 or 2 stops.
2. If subject is darker than 18% grey then decrease exposure 1 or 2 stops.
(An example of this, is when your shooting subjects like snow or white cars. If you shoot them at what the camera says is right, you will normally end up with a slightly grey snow scene or slightly grey car. Yeah, you can correct this in post but the goal is get it right in camera the first time)

Some pros that have been shooting for lots of years can walk into a lighting situation and pretty much know what proper exposure is without even using a meter. They may not nail it but they will be awful darn close.

While I'm at it, have you ever used any fill flash while shooting basketball?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

bdconrail29 wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:You can shoot sunny day obscure wedgies and get every single one on as long as they are properly exposed.
Who determines "proper exposure?"
If it looks good, it's the proper exposure.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

conrailmike wrote: Also, do you have exposure compensation on your camera? If you do, learn how to effectively use it.
I've been shooting in manual mode for about 7 years now and I have no idea what exposure compennsation is or what it's used for. Care to explain?

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Oops, my bad. I forgot to add that to remember, it only works in the Av and Tv modes. :mrgreen:

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

conrailmike wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote:
YOU determine proper exposure by using your in-camera meter ( they are not 100% accurate). YOU determine whether or not it's under or over exposed (it's usually pretty obvious). Which metering mode are you using? Spot? Center-weighted? Partial? It does make a difference, and your camera meter can be fooled. Try to remember that your camera is programmed to expose for what it thinks is reflecting (all in-camera meters are reflective, not incident) 18% grey. Does the indoor lighting change at all? It probably doesn't so you could go out and get an 18% grey card and set your exposure before the game starts, or find something that closely resembles 18% grey (in a pinch, your hand can be used). It's like when you're out railfanning, what are you metering off of? Before the train shows up (within the next 5 to 10 minutes), I tend to use the ballast to meter off of as it's usually close to 18% grey and then I'll decide whether or not I want to under or overexpose the shot.

Also, do you have exposure compensation on your camera? If you do, learn how to effectively use it.

Two general rules of thumb - 1. If subject is lighter than 18% grey then increase exposure 1 or 2 stops.
2. If subject is darker than 18% grey then decrease exposure 1 or 2 stops.
(An example of this, is when your shooting subjects like snow or white cars. If you shoot them at what the camera says is right, you will normally end up with a slightly grey snow scene or slightly grey car. Yeah, you can correct this in post but the goal is get it right in camera the first time)

Some pros that have been shooting for lots of years can walk into a lighting situation and pretty much know what proper exposure is without even using a meter. They may not nail it but they will be awful darn close.

While I'm at it, have you ever used any fill flash while shooting basketball?

Mike I'm so sorry you wasted your time on a well-thought out post. I wasn't literally asking who determines proper exposure. I meant the folks at RP who judge photos. So sorry.

P.S. No I don't use a flash at bball because no flashes allowed :)
Brett

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

conrailmike wrote:Oops, my bad. I forgot to add that to remember, it only works in the Av and Tv modes. :mrgreen:
Gotcha. There are many bells and whistles on my cameras that I've never bothered to learn about. I use flash exposure compensation every day with my job, but never just exposure compensation.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

JT- Didn't you try to submit the same rejected photo several times once? I believe it was an amtrak Shot....whatever happened to that endeavor?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow