Railpictures issues

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Railpictures issues

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:JT- Didn't you try to submit the same rejected photo several times once? I believe it was an amtrak shot.
No.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

conrailmike wrote:Oops, my bad. I forgot to add that to remember, it only works in the Av and Tv modes. :mrgreen:
Not true. I rented a 1D Mark IV for the Ohio High School State track meet, and higher end DSLR's can do EC in any mode. I did the following:

I shot in Av mode,
Min. shutter speed 1/500s
ISO set to Auto,
EC +2/3
Metering through active AF point, not limited to center.

I then shot in M mode, but I like to call it "faux M mode", because via custom function I can also set ISO to auto and change EC but it has to be set at a fixed value, so yes, in M mode, ISO is auto.

Yes, we're doing changing shutter speed AND ISO in Av mode and with a set EC doing auto ISO. Pretty cool feature, but you gotta shell out $4500 and it's yours! 8)
Brett

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

If you're shooting in manual, what's the point of exposure compensation? Isn't adjusting the shutter speed (for example) faster or slower accomplishing the same exact thing? Seems redundant to use EC in manual mode. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of it.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:If you're shooting in manual, what's the point of exposure compensation? Isn't adjusting the shutter speed (for example) faster or slower accomplishing the same exact thing? Seems redundant to use EC in manual mode. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of it.
In conditions such as the state track meet, auto ISO always exposes to EV=0. At EV= +2/3, auto ISO exposes to +2/3, on that particular camera. That's the "feature." I agree with you, 9/10 times you don't need that. But remember, I had a MINIMUM shutter speed set to 1/500th with a SET aperture. So if I want ISO at auto AND exposed to +2/3, have to set EC too.

Edit: This is for conditions in which the camera wants to go below 1/500th, and with MIN set, it can't, so it has to change something else. It can't change the aperture either in Av mode, hence the fine-tuned exposure.
Brett

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

For the second half of your question, this "faux M mode" allowed me to shoot correctly in quick-action moments. Suppose a hurdler comes around the far curve and hurdles into a sudden shadow from the stands. In faux M mode, you simply focus/meter and shoot the shot. You need not take a meter reading and then change anything; the camera already did it. Do WE need a camera such as a Canon 1D body to do this for railfanning? Heck no. I was just sharing a cool feature that can be had by purchasing a 1D body. Cool stuff. But unless you're going pro as a photojournalist, probably not worth it.
Brett

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

bdconrail29 wrote:Not true. I rented a 1D Mark IV for the Ohio High School State track meet, and higher end DSLR's can do EC in any mode. I did the following:

I shot in Av mode,
Min. shutter speed 1/500s
ISO set to Auto,
EC +2/3
Metering through active AF point, not limited to center.

I then shot in M mode, but I like to call it "faux M mode", because via custom function I can also set ISO to auto and change EC but it has to be set at a fixed value, so yes, in M mode, ISO is auto.

Yes, we're doing changing shutter speed AND ISO in Av mode and with a set EC doing auto ISO. Pretty cool feature, but you gotta shell out $4500 and it's yours! 8)
bdconrail29 wrote:For the second half of your question, this "faux M mode" allowed me to shoot correctly in quick-action moments. Suppose a hurdler comes around the far curve and hurdles into a sudden shadow from the stands. In faux M mode, you simply focus/meter and shoot the shot. You need not take a meter reading and then change anything; the camera already did it. Do WE need a camera such as a Canon 1D body to do this for railfanning? Heck no. I was just sharing a cool feature that can be had by purchasing a 1D body. Cool stuff. But unless you're going pro as a photojournalist, probably not worth it.
Seems like a lot of work. The ONLY time I would employ something like this, is if the lighting situations change real fast (and I mean in a spit second) and it goes beyond the apertures of my lens and I can't or don't have access any type of fill light. By this I mean, if I'm shooting sports or any other kind of action, I want my ISO to stay the same (I know it has to change as the daylight disappears)and my aperture/shutter speed combo SHOULD be enough to get the shot I want. If I were shooting sports, a lens with an aperture of at least f/2.8 would have to be part of the setup. Your ISO should not be something you're constantly having to fool with :wink:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Makes sense now, Brett. Thanks for the explanation. :)

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

JT no problem.

Mike, I agree 100% with you. For basketball I meter the ISO once in the lighting of the gym and leave it. The min shutter speed you can get around by simply shooting in Tv mode. Or, shoot in M mode AT the min shutter speed, pick an aperture, and meter first for ISO and leave it. I guess if you wanted your aperture and shutter speed constant throughout the whole game and wanted PERFECT exposure on every player you shot, allowing for fine-tuning ISO shifts on that particular player, then faux M mode would do it. I don't need it either. Neat discussion though. By the way, thanks for your explanation of exposure, it didn't hurt any of us to be "refreshed" in that regard.
Brett