You be the screener part 2

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

You be the screener part 2

Unread post by Scooterb »

Thanks for the comments on the first series next up pics from Butler Indiana.

I will post a selection of my pics I think should be submitted to the site railroad pics net. because they only allow 10 to be submitted everyday now. I would like you to give your honest opinion on these pics what is wrong with them.
1. bad crop
2.high sun
3. bad angel
4. backlit
5. shadows
6. soft
7. oversharp
8. overexposed
9. unlevel
10. not a chance
11.no problem, send it in.

Maybe suggestions on what needs to be corrected.

please refer to numbers by the pics for your comments.

I will post result on the submittels when I get them back from railroad pics net.

After submission Iwill deleat these pics.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

#5 unlevel leans to the right. Other than that I dont know, caus If I cant get any of mine in how could I help you?
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

cmhfan
Sofa Express

Unread post by cmhfan »

Scooterb, I like them all, but I can tell you that they don't like dark shadows over the loco trucks, so any of those will be tough getting in there.

I think 4, 5, and 7 have the best shots of making it in. 7 might need some cropping off of the right for them.

Again, this is based on what I think they want to see.

I'm just guessing, but they'll say that 2 and 3 are backlit.

These are just my gut feelings based on previous experience, and I can tell you what, they really make you pull your hair out, sometimes! :x

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

# 7 seemed kinda dark but you should take for your enjoyment, if someone else doesn't like it then they can go find their own train.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Thanks again for all who participated, results are dissapointing but worthy of note a learning experiance

Accepted
1. I like this shot but I thought they might nick it for back lit

2.- Bad Angle
- Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough nose light on the subject.

3. - Bad Angle
- Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough nose light on the subject.
Not suprised by this as you can see it is dak on the side I took the picture on.

4.Probably should have taken more of a side shot/wedge on this one

Bad Angle

5. Any comments?
Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image.
- Undersharpened (Soft):

6. This one kinda of suprised me as the sun is just behind me on this and the shadows on the passing train reveals the sun is towards my back probably just not enough.
Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough nose light on the subject.

7. Any comments on this?
Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image.
- Undersharpened (Soft):

This is not to bash Rail pics net at all but to learn why what gets rejected. And to learn from these pics.
Thanks for all the responces so far.
Last edited by Scooterb on Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmhfan
Sofa Express

Unread post by cmhfan »

That's too bad about those. I can tell you this, though...they're getting more and more picky and difficult to read every day as far as what they'll accept and reject. However, I saw a few get in that appeared to have been taken in the early evening when the sun was low that look badly underexposed with bad shadows. Who knows....

I personally have been struggling to get anything on there it all lately! I keep saying that I'm going to call it quits, but I wind up still trying. (don't ask me why) :roll:

Anyway, there's always next time, I guess!

Chuck