Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

Last edited by B-Town on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MDH
rp.net addict

Re: Trains at Sunset Tutorial

Unread post by MDH »

What you're describing (and the end result) is basically like a single shot pseudo-HDR type of effect where you're pushing the software processing to gain a much broader dynamic range than possible with just the original exposure (or what you could do with film). I kink of like the result though - it's closer to what you'd actually see standing there than what traditional film could capture. I find that when playing around with that you have to be carefull to avoid ending up with a very pastel-looking or over-saturated "candyland" kind of result (which I've seen others produce) but your examples generally look a bit more realistic looking. Keep experimenting with it.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

The fact that I know nothing of processing outside of the basics means your entire explanation was greek when it came to processing. I would be very interested in a video tutorial of your technique, I really feel my processing is where I really need help on things.

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »

Last edited by B-Town on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

All this really is, is learning to shoot in backlit situations. You could also shoot a custom white balance for these warmer shots, not hard to learn. Learning as much about exposure as you can will help you in these situations. If you expose correctly, you won't have a dark train and you won't have to fix it in processing. Spending less time in front of the computer monitor is the key here.

You could be shooting these with strobes and you would have a much easier time. You're far enough away from the train (in these shots) that if you're softening up the light with diffusers then you don't have the reflections but at the same time giving the fill that is needed. Remember, the easiest way is not always the best way to shoot a photograph.

As for shooting in RAW, it's not a must if you want to learn how to edit your photos better. I've seen plenty of photographers shoot in JPG and it can be just as good if you get it right in camera the first time. Personally, I shoot RAW only because it gives me that extra room if I should happen to screw it up or not get it exact the first time.

Oh, and for silhouettes the "right" way to shoot them is to expose for the brightest part of the sky.

Don't think I'm trying to be an ass here, just trying to help.

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »

Last edited by B-Town on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

B-Town wrote: To start, manually set your camera's white balance to shade. This will bring out the oranges and give the image a warmer feeling right from the start.

Oh...And the big thing...Shoot RAW files! RAW files retain more detail and color information than a JPG. Shooting RAW is a must for anyone who wants to learn how to better edit their photos.
Doesn't RAW render all in-camera image settings ineffective? At least that's how I've always understood it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »