Refocusing in processing

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Refocusing in processing

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Cool technology. I can only imagine how much it will cost though.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/2 ... phyforever

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Refocusing in processing

Unread post by J T »

Interesting technology. I'm sure the producers of CSI have already made a claim to inventing this idea long ago. :lol:

If you click on that test picture, you'll see some kind of faint grid. It's especially noticeable when you click on the guy with the hat who is scratching his neck. I wonder if that is an artifact of this "breakthrough technology."

If this new sensor becomes a reality in DSLRs over the next 5-10 years, photography as we know it now will seem so antiquated. I hope it really IS a breakthrough!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

This is absolute magic. If it takes off, this will revolutionize photography.
RR Pass Collector

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I don't know, isn't this really just focusing at infinity and then making other things seem out of focus after the fact?

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

MagnumForce wrote:I don't know, isn't this really just focusing at infinity and then making other things seem out of focus after the fact?
It's not really focusing at infinity. It's more like having an infinite depth of field. Then, as you say, you could focus the portion you want after the fact with software. I certainly don't claim to know how the technology works. With conventional photography (including digital) to get extreme depth of field you need very tiny apertures. Pin-hole cameras used for model RR photography illustrate the principle. That typically means longer exposure times. This technology claims to be able to do this even in low light conditions. I'll be interested to see how, or if, it develops further.
RR Pass Collector

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Weird man.
Mark it Zero.

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtwhogger »

After going through the website and blog, I don't see a real benefit except for a typical point and shoot way of photography? It's great that you have the whole image in a focus plane but all I see is that wherever you choose to set the final focus the rest of the image let's say I want the middle plane to be in focus that the foreground and background will be out of focus or aperture balanced, then if you choose the foreground the middle and background will always be out of balance, no different than taking a photo in the same way using a larger aperture opening and focusing points aimed at a foreground, middle, or background plane?

I haven't found anything to explain if this would access a higher aperture or smaller opening to bring more of the framed photo into a sharper depth of field all around?

I can see this technology to be great for all around style of point and shoot let's say for Grandma who isn't nor has had much contact with shooting photos let alone owned a camera and if she takes a photo that is somewhat not focused to how she wanted the photo to be this technology will be able to correct that, then print it out!

Correct me if I have missed the whole point her, I am a bit tired and might have over read the technology or just simply misunderstood it?

Stan

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I tend to agree with what Scott Bourne says about it - http://photofocus.com/2011/06/29/lytro- ... ing-later/