What will happen to your pictures...

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
MDH
rp.net addict

What will happen to your pictures...

Unread post by MDH »

...when you die?

Not to be overly morbid - but it's worth contemplating what will happen to your collection down the road. As examples, first here's a recent Toledo Blade story about a WWII Photographer:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2011/0 ... les-2.html

And a current thread on rp.net regarding a "passed on" collection that has some fantastic shots (posted in the thread) of historic stuff:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=13968

Just one "Wow" example:

In both cases, some wonderfull material carefully preserved over the years would be lost all together if it wasn't for the good fortune of it coming into the hands of people who cared enough to do something with it. The images could have just as easily ended up in a landfill somewhere, lost to the world.

It does give you pause for thought...

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

J T
Hates Supper

Re: What will happen to your pictures...

Unread post by J T »

MDH wrote: In both cases, some wonderfull material carefully preserved over the years would be lost all together if it wasn't for the good fortune of it coming into the hands of people who cared enough to do something with it. The images could have just as easily ended up in a landfill somewhere, lost to the world.

It does give you pause for thought...
I agree. I feel like somewhere, stashed away in a box in an attic in Grand Rapids, is a huge collection of local shots from the 50s and 60s. Shots of trains on rails that have been gone for 40+ years or more. ROWs that I drive ball all the time and wish I could see a picture of the rails in place and in use. I just can't believe they haven't been discovered yet! Maybe the photographer(s) died and his relatives had no idea of the gold they held in their hands...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Yes, that is a BIG problem. Many photo collections have hit the trash can because the children are not interested in Grandpas "stuff" My childeren have a litte interest so the train and boat slides/digital will be around but when they pass, dumpster city. Jut don't know what to do with the work slides. Have quite a few taken over the last 45 years.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Well,

I have suggested to my woman friend that my photos be preserved for posterity because they reflect railroading in the past two decades. I have also asked her not to release them for some time as there are still MOW employees who can be identified from them.

The are part of railroad history the same as were photos of the early twentieth century. I do hope they get saved.
Norm

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Norm wrote:Well,

I have suggested to my woman friend that my photos be preserved for posterity because they reflect railroading in the past two decades. I have also asked her not to release them for some time as there are still MOW employees who can be identified from them.

The are part of railroad history the same as were photos of the early twentieth century. I do hope they get saved.
Good to hear that, Norm. I wish other people would tell their loved ones that, too. Immediate family may not appreciate a box full of old train pics, but it wouldn't take much time to find a bunch of people who'd love to see them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.