Filters

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Filters

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I am looking to buy a couple filters for my camera and was wondering what you guys suggest, i am looking for a Black and white and a sepia filter. My lenses excepts 58mm filters.

Thanks for the help

Nevets.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Re: Filters

Unread post by conrailmike »

There are no "black and white" filters, only filters used in black and white photography. Different filters such as yellow, red, and green are used to lighten and darken different shades (colors). A yellow filter will lighten reds and yellows but darken up blue tones. I'm not sure how they would work if you set a digital camera to Monochrome mode.

As for Sepia tones, I have a few good actions in PS I use. There are Sepia filters but I've never used them.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I only carry two types of filters, UV and polarized. The UV filters help eliminate haze and are always installed. I'd rather scratch one of them than have to replace a lens. $35 to $40 to replace one of them versus hundreds to replace a lens. I only use the polarized filters when glare is a problem.

One other tidbit I learned from a professional photographer friend who lives in Virginia. I asked him what he used to clean his lenses. The answer was "The same stuff you buy at Wal-Mart to clean your glasses. I asked if he was joking, and his answer was "NO". He has some very expensive Nikon lenses. One of them alone is worth more than I spent on my camera and three lenses. He makes his living by photography, so I trust him.
Norm

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Norm wrote:The UV filters help eliminate haze and are always installed. I'd rather scratch one of them than have to replace a lens.
I hear that all the time but for train photography they can often become problematic. You get far more "headlight ghosting" problems with a filter on the end of the lens, especially with night photography but I'd had it happen in bright sun at certain angles, esp. long tele's. Especially in the sun I often wouldn't notice the problem until after the fact and the shot was screwed. I stopped using filters and that basically never happens any more. I often have a lens hood on and am carefull with my gear so I'm willing to accept the "risk". I understand your "insurance" argument but when's the last time you had to replace a filter 'cause you scratched it?

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MDH wrote: I stopped using filters and that basically never happens any more. I often have a lens hood on and am carefull with my gear so I'm willing to accept the "risk".
Same here on UV filters...had horrid ghosting a number of times, took off the UV filter, and it's all good. Only filter I use is a polarizing filter, and that's only when it's quite sunny out. The B&W and sepia filter are best just to do the filter process in Photoshop after the fact rather than during the photoshoot. Why do you think you need these two types of filters GLC392? Finding problems with your night long exposures when converting?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

MDH wrote:
Norm wrote:The UV filters help eliminate haze and are always installed. I'd rather scratch one of them than have to replace a lens.
I hear that all the time but for train photography they can often become problematic. You get far more "headlight ghosting" problems with a filter on the end of the lens, especially with night photography but I'd had it happen in bright sun at certain angles, esp. long tele's. Especially in the sun I often wouldn't notice the problem until after the fact and the shot was screwed. I stopped using filters and that basically never happens any more. I often have a lens hood on and am carefull with my gear so I'm willing to accept the "risk". I understand your "insurance" argument but when's the last time you had to replace a filter 'cause you scratched it?

Michael

This especially in low light.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

railroadfan wrote: The B&W and sepia filter are best just to do the filter process in Photoshop after the fact rather than during the photoshoot.
Sorry, I have to disagree... if it can be done in camera it's better and one less thing you have to do in post-process. Don't rely on the computer just because you can.

NEVETS, you're shooting a Canon right? You should be able to go into your settings and the "Picture Style" menu and choose "Monochrome" within that setting you can choose different settings for sharpness, contrast, filter effect, and toning effect. "Filter effect" will mimic the yellow, orange, red, and green filters and "Toning effect" will give you the sepia tone plus other tones like blue for Cyanotype processing.

Now, if you're not happy with those effects then you will have to do it in post.

Happy shooting.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

conrailmike wrote:
railroadfan wrote: The B&W and sepia filter are best just to do the filter process in Photoshop after the fact rather than during the photoshoot.
Sorry, I have to disagree... if it can be done in camera it's better and one less thing you have to do in post-process. Don't rely on the computer just because you can.
Then again, if you wait to do it in a photo editing program, you at least get to retain the full color original of the image. :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

J T wrote:
conrailmike wrote:
Then again, if you wait to do it in a photo editing program, you at least get to retain the full color original of the image. :)
You could shoot in RAW+JPEG, then you'll have one RAW color image and one JPEG that has the effect.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.