Horizon Unlevel Need Help

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
A No.1
To Portland

Horizon Unlevel Need Help

Unread post by A No.1 »

OK, I try to learn from JT but this one has me.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... 1153697911
Mark it Zero.

MDH
rp.net addict

Re: Horizon Unlevel Need Help

Unread post by MDH »

Look at the part of the train in the center of the photo - definitely leaning to the left a little. Did you do some wide angle distortion correction or something? The end of the long hood on the lead geep looks kinda weird...

Michael

P.S. "true" W/A distortion is "OK" on rp.net so long as the center of the photo is level like it should be.

Edit - although seemingly not preferred - for rp.net shoot for compositions that don't require you to go so wide (which generally means getting farther back wherever possible)
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Needs some CW rotation. Level it off the verticals on the nose of the loco. Also, I would have gone wider to show that car on the spur, as it looks like an interesting subject to include in this scene. The way it's cut off, I wouldn't be surprised if you got bad cropping next.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

J T wrote:Needs some CW rotation. Level it off the verticals on the nose of the loco. Also, I would have gone wider to show that car on the spur, as it looks like an interesting subject to include in this scene. The way it's cut off, I wouldn't be surprised if you got bad cropping next.
You know, I thought of that but The shot would have been Way Wide distortion and It just wouldn't look composed well. Like a wedgie with a car sticking out of the side. That's why I went this direction.
Mark it Zero.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

OK JT Here's your answer, LoL.

This one got on with leveling

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 967&nseq=0

This is the Reject for Cropping.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... =254879217

Actually I do like that one better. But waht do you do?
Mark it Zero.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I dunno how to help the cropping reject, but that image is also unlevel. Needs a decent amount of CW rotation from what I can tell.
Bottom text.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Look at the Antenna on the right, Its already leaning to the right. And the cab of the loader on the flat car is dead nuts.

As For cropping IDK either, I think its what I said, A flat car sticking out the side of a wedgie. I just tryed it cause I wanted to see.
Mark it Zero.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

JUST AARON wrote:OK JT Here's your answer, LoL.

This one got on with leveling

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 967&nseq=0

This is the Reject for Cropping.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... =254879217

Actually I do like that one better. But waht do you do?
See, this is why I could never be a screener there. I'm too anal about stuff being cut off. :twisted: The accepted shot just doesn't show enough of the car on the spur for me. As far as unlevel goes on the rejection, you're dealing with some wide angle distortion there making both sides look to be leaning outward. And the only thing I can think of on that one for the bad cropping is that it makes the train too centered horizontally. Maybe if you had panned upward slightly to include less foreground and a little more sky (or vice versa), it might have worked out better.

This is a weird one. The car on the spur is definitely and interesting subject to include, but it makes for a tough composition to be created from this angle without having a lot of dead space at the top and bottom. Elevation (step ladder or something) could have helped this scene as well.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

I will try working with the More Sky and Less ground on that one, Maybe Ill try it again next week or something.
Mark it Zero.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

The cropping on the second one is not pretty bad IMO. That cut off flat car just kills it, ugh, not a fan. You are killing me Aaron, I love your stuff normally!

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

LoL, Sorry Brent, But Im really not that good of a photographer, Im just learning.

That being said,

I really wanted to get that flat car in there but couldnt make it look good, SO, That is why in the accepted shot you end up with the Cut off end. I have to see if there happens to be a frame with the whole thing.

I know the one that has most of the falat car is still cut off behind the loader cab. I assume that is the one you are talkng about that you dont like.
Mark it Zero.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I disagree, you have a great eye for composition which to me is the thing that separates photographers from people who take pictures. You are as good, if not better then me.

See this is what kills me about RP and why I am such a flickr whore now. You are adjusting your already good work and making it worse by doing anything to try to get it on RP.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

This is true. I have actually been having an internal struggle with this for a few weeks now.

Second guessing what I am doing and who am I trying to please?

GTW hogger and me have been talking about this quite a bit lately also.

BTW, Thank you for the compliment.

ABOVE ALL, I guess I do it for fun.
Mark it Zero.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MagnumForce wrote: See this is what kills me about RP and why I am such a flickr whore now. You are adjusting your already good work and making it worse by doing anything to try to get it on RP.
If he wants to put it on flickr or anywhere else in its original crop, he's more than capable of that. Just because he's changing it slightly for one particular site, it doesn't mean the original shot doesn't exist any more to be shared elsewhere on the web.
JUST AARON wrote:This is true. I have actually been having an internal struggle with this for a few weeks now.

Second guessing what I am doing and who am I trying to please?

GTW hogger and me have been talking about this quite a bit lately also.

BTW, Thank you for the compliment.

ABOVE ALL, I guess I do it for fun.
You're over-analyzing it. If you want photos on RP, adjust to their standards but only for the shots that you want there. In the meantime, put the originals on other sites (here, flickr, etc) if you want to keep them the way they were. It's a pretty simple concept. :wink: