Need Second Opinion.

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
A No.1
To Portland

Need Second Opinion.

Unread post by A No.1 »

Ive been getting hit hard on RP lately. Not sure if I should apeal some of these.

PEQ, I could see some other rejections but PEQ?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... 8693&key=0

Bad Cropping, Any suggestions?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... =500546862

PEQ, Well, Maybe? Ive seen worse stuff on RP.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... 8414&key=0
Mark it Zero.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Need Second Opinion.

Unread post by Y@ »

Number one won't get on. WAY too much dead white space and it's pretty blown out.

Not sure about number two...I like how it looks.

Meh...dunno about number three either. Prolly not gunna win that one.
Bottom text.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

You realize of course that the dead space is caused in part by the snow coming off the snow plow in action? Right? So I'm not sure how the aesthetics can be better if the normal operation of the subject causes it too look the way it does by throwing snow all over... :lol: :lol: appeal 2 and 3 since they have nothing wrong that I can see, 1 looks odd though, it's off center and so the stop sign appears to be floating among other things...
Last edited by ns8401 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Good points, The more I look at them the more I see they suck. LoL
Mark it Zero.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Try waiting a while on these plow pics... they've gotten 4 plow pics from MQT in the past week.. wait till summer and I bet at least one of these will make it back in.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

mlmphotography
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mlmphotography »

1. Over contrasted, and completely blown out.
2. Over contrasted, and completely blown out. May need some cropping on the bottom.
3. Under contrasted, and somewhat blown out.

I wouldn't suggest attempting any appeals, as these photos need to be adjusted correctly. As someone with a good portfolio, you'll do nothing but hamper it with these photos, as they stand.

Loyd L.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

You've already got 4 shots of that chase on rp.net and while it looked like a great chase (and I enjoyed seeing all the pictures here) for rp.net purposes you don't need to "oversaturate" with them and the more you put on in a row the tougher I think they get on screening them (keep in mind - there are only a couple screeners and they generally have a good idea of what's been accepted lately). To Zack's point - if you really want to put more up perhaps wait a while (and re-process as already suggested).

Just some thoughts,
Michael

Edit - I will admit there have been a couple times where I've put 3 or 4 shots of one train from a chase on rp.net when it was something really cool but I also generally spread out those submissions a bit more and made sure each one was a significantly different location/composition not just a "here's another crossing wedgie!". My 4 shots of IAIS 513 in Iowa come to mind.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Thank you for all the advice. I think you are correct about waiting.

Loyd, I agree with the Blown out on the shots. The sad part is that the RP staff had rejected preivous photos saying the image was too dark so you are alomst forced to blow them out. I have been playing with toning down the whites at the blown out points.
Mark it Zero.

mlmphotography
Railroadfan...fan

I had to teach myself how to expose properly in the snow. Here's what I did. a plain white sheet of paper, with DFTU written in print, with a black marker in the center of the paper. I laid it on the snow facing the camera, and shot simple train wedgies at different exposures. In post process, I'd find the one that was bright enough, yet allowed me to plainly see the letters without them starting to fade out. After a while, I learned what it took to make it right every time.

Loyd L.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

mlmphotography wrote:I had to teach myself how to expose properly in the snow. Here's what I did. a plain white sheet of paper, with DFTU written in print, with a black marker in the center of the paper. I laid it on the snow facing the camera, and shot simple train wedgies at different exposures. In post process, I'd find the one that was bright enough, yet allowed me to plainly see the letters without them starting to fade out. After a while, I learned what it took to make it right every time.

Loyd L.
Or you could just expose the snow 1.5-2 stops over. :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

mlmphotography
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:
mlmphotography wrote:I had to teach myself how to expose properly in the snow. Here's what I did. a plain white sheet of paper, with DFTU written in print, with a black marker in the center of the paper. I laid it on the snow facing the camera, and shot simple train wedgies at different exposures. In post process, I'd find the one that was bright enough, yet allowed me to plainly see the letters without them starting to fade out. After a while, I learned what it took to make it right every time.

Loyd L.
Or you could just expose the snow 1.5-2 stops over. :wink:
Unless you're a newcomer as I was, and would have had no freaking clue what you were talking about.. ;)

Loyd L.