Current POTW on RP

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
Y@
Ass. Janitor

Current POTW on RP

Unread post by Y@ »

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=350546

First time I saw this I gave it a PCA vote and commented on it saying how awesome it was. Now, the more I look at it, the more I start to wonder if it wasn't heavily photoshopped.

When I look at the sky, I see several vertical streaks that look like some sort of clone stamp work, or something of that nature.

What do you all think about this? I really want it to be real, because it's just that awesome.
Bottom text.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Current POTW on RP

Unread post by bnsfben »

Y@, I think that it is heavily photoshopped. The fog combined with the trees looks too thick.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Masking at a minimum.
Mark it Zero.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

It'd be very interesting to see the "out of the camera" starting image. Note we're looking at the dark side of the train based on the bridge shadows so that's been heavily lightened up also. It's a striking image and the one good thing I can say about the photoshop work on this is that it doesn't look like anything was added or removed - just heavy use of color/shadow/brightness types of manipulation.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Do you guys see the vertical streaks in the sky like I do?
Bottom text.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

If it's so foggy on the other side of the bridge (and the direction of the light source), how is the ground and water so red?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

J T wrote:If it's so foggy on the other side of the bridge (and the direction of the light source), how is the ground and water so red?
That's kinda what I'm wondering..
Bottom text.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

J T wrote:If it's so foggy on the other side of the bridge (and the direction of the light source), how is the ground and water so red?
At first I thought all the fog was 'higher level' (since it's so clear from the water up to just above the train) which would explain the light on the bridge and water IF there was strong "duckunder" light coming from direct sun to the right. However, looking more closely now it almost looks like the fog goes down towards the water on the far side of the bridge which would make that strong "duckunder" lighting all but impossible. Fog can get kind of weird but I just don't see how this lighting works...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Somebody should post this on the RP forums. I would but they refuse to activate my account, even after several attempts at contacting them. The people on RP should analyze it, if nobody over there hasn't already got the feeling I have.
Bottom text.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Its on the the forum now Y@.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Y@ wrote:Somebody should post this on the RP forums. I would but they refuse to activate my account, even after several attempts at contacting them. The people on RP should analyze it, if nobody over there hasn't already got the feeling I have.

It's an artistic composition. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. There is a British photog on the site that has some heavily heavily photoshopped stuff but it is all spectacular.

Hell even the greats did the same tricks, burning in in spots, darkening others, using crazy gels to change colors.

I used to be against such things but I am really opening up to them, after all if Railroad Photography is expected to ever be accepted as art it is stuff like this that will do it. Just like shots of rail, or ties, or billboards...

It takes far more skill and creativity to do a shot like this then to take a roster shot that is for darn sure!

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

The thing though with film and slide shooters though, say for example O Winston link when he burned his images together such as the one below if he would have screwed up a negative while burning them he couldn't just hit the "edit undo" and start over. If a film shooter screws up a image while out in the field they couldn't just edit it later or just snap a ton of photos off hoping that they turned out like we can do with our digital's if they fudged up just a bit with one of their shots they were done.

I have had the privilege of going through and handling around 100 of O Winston Links original photos and he was one hell of a good photographer.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

So technology has made it too easy to do so it just shouldn't be done? Do you think Steinheimer or Link or Adams wouldn't have used the technology we have now if it were available to them? We know Plowden won't, then again he still shoots in medium format black and white to this day.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Im not denying that they wouldn't use newer technology but i really don't see whats so great about photo shopping, other then leveling, sharpening etc , modern power just to make what appears to be a great shot, i much rather see a non photo-shopped photo any day. On the POTW side of it, if i got a POTW, or Screeners choice i would like to get it on a "real" photo as in a photo i did no photo shop. Whats so great about getting a, achievement i guess i will call it, on a fake photo?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MagnumForce wrote:It's an artistic composition. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. There is a British photog on the site that has some heavily heavily photoshopped stuff but it is all spectacular.
I don't think anyone has any problem with artistic expression. It's when manipulated photos get added to the database that look like they were photographed in another world (like the POTW) is where the problem is. Anyone could take the time to tweak a picture in photoshop to make it look "otherworldly," but that goes against the rules that they have set forth for the contributing members. Occasionally one slips through the cracks, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to question why it was accepted when others with the most minor manipulations are rejected.

I don't have a problem with the image this photographer created. I think it looks pretty awesome. True to life? Not really. Should it have been accepted? That will remain up for debate.

By the way, that British photographer just had one of this images removed because it was digitally manipulated.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I don't see what the difference is between spending hours in a darkroom dodging and burning, and sitting in front of a screen using Photoshop or Lightroom to enhance an image. It's the same thing, just different "technology".

Like JT said, whether or not it should've been accepted could be debated but it is a great looking image. If it were my image I might have done the same thing. That's the great thing about photography, it's what YOUR eye sees.

If you don't care for manipulated images, think about that next time you pick up one of them magazines with all the hot chicks in it. 99% have been enhanced or airbrushed in some way :mrgreen:

mlmphotography
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mlmphotography »

I don't mind photo chopped photos in general, I do mind when photo chopped illustrations are uploading onto a genuine photo website, and attempted to be passed off as genuine photos.

Aside from the color work, I really don't see anything extraordinary that I would call photo shop abuse on. You can get some wild lighting when dealing with fog.

Loyd L.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

I must say, I like the perspective that this guy has on rail photography. He has some unique shots in his collection.
Mark it Zero.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

MagnumForce wrote:So technology has made it too easy to do so it just shouldn't be done? Do you think Steinheimer or Link or Adams wouldn't have used the technology we have now if it were available to them? We know Plowden won't, then again he still shoots in medium format black and white to this day.

On the same topic. Photography is an art. ART, Take painting for instance. Some people use oil, some acrylic, some like water color. Its all painting, just different forms.

I think you should Do what you like.
Mark it Zero.