Getting Camera Envy..what to do?

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Getting Camera Envy..what to do?

Unread post by redside20 »

I'm looking at three retailers here in the Columbus area for the best deals on cameras. I'm exploring all the possibilites from budget and affordability, quality, and reputation. I am sitting on the fence waiting patiently after the holidays to make a move and hoping to score a win in the digital cam department. The three retailers are HHGregg, Midwest Photo Exchange, and Cord Camera. At MPE, Nikon rules the roost here and i am eyeing the Nikon P100 at the marked down price of $349 with features like 26 optical zoom and 10.3 megapixels. The way i figure it, 349 just might be out of my reach as far as affordability is concerned but there is another model by Nikon the L110 for $219 with 15 optical zoom and 12.1 megapixels. However i found the L110 at cheaper price at Cord Camera here in Columbus for $199. Also the Fujifilm Finepix S2550HD here at Cord for the same price as the L110 but with more 30 optical zoom and 10 megapixels. And as for HHGregg, there were some Canons i was looking in on there but will do more research later. I'm this close to buying something but i don't feel like going broke again because i am no longer working at Cheryls. any insight gentlemen?
Exit stage left

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Getting Camera Envy..what to do?

Unread post by railohio »

What does your current camera not allow you to do? Which purchase will rectify that? The end.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

redside20

railohio wrote:What does your current camera not allow you to do? Which purchase will rectify that? The end.
Originally it was purchased with the intent of sharing between Crossbuck and i. currently,it's being held hostage by Crossbuck because he is using it at present for a project. i'm guessing for affordability, the L110 will probably do.

the A590 takes great pictures, but the point here is i am looking for my own camera so i won't have the share the A590 with Crossbuck (Bill).
Exit stage left

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

If you absolutely cannot afford a DSLR then I would look at a Canon SX130IS. My local Wal-Mart has them for $180 and they are $200 online. It's only real drawback is a slow flash recycle time (because it uses AA batteries), but if you're using it outdoors for trains then the flash isn't even a concern. Just be sure to pick up a couple sets of AA rechargeables along with it. I will probably be buying one for myself this spring.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Just an FYI....

Right now B&H has free shipping on these cameras through 1/29/11. Right now the P100 is $324, the L110 is $196 (out of stock though), and the Fuji is $169.95.

I have heard lots of good things about the Canon that railohio mentioned also.

redside20

yes..thank you RO and Co for the suggestions. i will take everything into consideration
Exit stage left