Too Far Away

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
A No.1
To Portland

Too Far Away

Unread post by A No.1 »

I got dinged on this one for the train being too far away.

I beleive I recall seeing photos on railpics that featured trains alot farther away than this one.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... 1877&key=0
Mark it Zero.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Too Far Away

Unread post by railohio »

You're absolutely right, there are photos on there with trains much further away. They just usually feature mountains, rivers, and prairie land, not trees and ballast.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Crop it in tighter, Aaron. Less focus on the scenery, more focus on the train. Sometimes the "train too far away" rejection can be the same as "bad cropping," which I think I applies with this photo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

cmhfan
Sofa Express

Unread post by cmhfan »

If I were the one behind the camera I may have waited a little longer to snap the shutter at a point where the locomotives have sufficiently cleared the building in the background. As it stands, the two are right on top of each other. A little more breathing room would be good. There's no rule that the train has to be the absolute dominant element in the picture, so I wouldn't concern yourself with "too far away". Try cropping a little off the top so the top of the picture cuts into the trees on the right. That may help focus more interest on the train. Now whether or not these changes would get the picture accepted over there is another story.

Also, another nit picky observation is that it's a tad dark for my personal tastes and I would lighten it a bit.

Otherwise, the photo is fine. Best of luck -
Chuck

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

I think u need to quit worrying what RP thinks about ur pics and take them for urself lol BOOM SUKA
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!